+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Hi everyone

I was hoping for some (semi) confidential advice...

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost seven years now and she has very recently completed a three year university degree. Upon leaving University she has been struck with this overwhelming feeling of 'being lost' and it pains me greatly to see her like this. She appears to have no passion for anything and holds on interest in any former aspect of her life.

It tears at my heart that I have tried so many things to cheer her up and make her happier but nothing seems to work. Which is why I was looking for advice. If anyone else has ever gone through this or knows someone who has, do you have any words of wisdom?

Many Thanks

Qwerty!

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Is she looking for a job? She should be putting alot of effort into that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Currently, yes. She has only been out of Uni for a few days and seems to be growing more and more depressed and lost. I realise that many people will have the "What do I do now" feeling after leaving Uni but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything that could help my girlfriend as it really hurts to see her like this. I feel really helpless.

How about sticking a ring on that girls finger....it's been 7 years, she is finished school, and well even though her professional life is uncertain at the moment, she will know she has a solid future with you and will be there for her 100%.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Don't do that - she's too young to be married.

This is all a part of growing up. It's hard to know what to do with yourself when you have lots of hours of unfilled time. She needs to make her move into adulthood by getting a job, and trust me, she will feel better. It will also help if she takes up some other activities. Volunteer work will give her some degree of appreciation for her own life. Exercise helps to de-stress. She can even take a class or two that she thinks will just be "fun".
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    How about sticking a ring on that girls finger....it's been 7 years, she is finished school, and well even though her professional life is uncertain at the moment, she will know she has a solid future with you and will be there for her 100%.
    Your answer is to get married to cheer her up?!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Asking and getting are two different time lines. I meant get engaged...The reason why I mentioned that her being lost about her life may not just be about her job prospects but where your relationship is at too. I work with a lot of young ladies and getting engaged is very important and anticipated event in their lives. Talk of your future plans, etc might snap her out of this depression.

Could she be missing someone?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Getting married/engaged right out of college is NOT the answer to her problems. It's just time for her to grow up.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?