+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Boyfriend is distant

Boyfriend is distant

I met my partner last year and we dated for a full year with no sex. I found it odd that he never initiated anything given we are both not virgins but from the get go I said that I would not have sex unless in a relationship. He told me he was scared of commitment and I believed we would most likely just end up as friends. Then 3 months ago he surprised me by asking to make it official.

He has never been very emotional and whilst we clearly have an amazing connection because of his lack of emotion, it sometimes feels like we are just friends. However, I’ve tried to make excuses for this as I know this is his first relationship so thought this would come in time.

Now we are 1 year post dating and 3 months official but he fails to show any form of emotion I.e no goodnight texts or I miss you. Last year he suffered from depression bad during the winter and so there was a period we didn’t see each other. We live a couple of hours away and so he is content with meeting once a fortnight but I think this is far too little.

I understand that for him this is all new, and in all honesty this is him probably trying his best but I’m starting to feel unwanted and more like a friend. I’ve spoken to him about this but he can’t relate and I don’t want to throw this away as in every other way he is perfect.

Do you think he will be more emotional as time goes on? I am seeing a gradual change but i can’t imagine being with someone 6 months down the line who makes meeting up feel like travelling across country. I’m also conscious of his mental health and I know winter seems to effect him. Am I making too many excuses for him? Help!?

It seems like he is moving at a snail's pace. You have already shown great patience with him. Have you discussed this issue with him?