+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Divorced?

Divorced?

Recently I met a guy whom I am interested in. He was married before and had an acrimonious divorce about 4years ago. He never talks about his past and I only learnt of it through a mutual friend.

Should I proceed with caution? How long would it take for someone like this to open up? Does divorce make you wiser, or just more cynical and bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorine
    ? Does divorce make you wiser, or just more cynical and bitter?
    Yes.-----------

I suggest you proceed with caution. Not all men who have divorced are bitter. You should watch and see how he treats his ex-wife and pay attention to what amount of responsibility he takes for the failure of the marriage, see how resentful he is, etc. It will give you a GIANT clue about his nature, so don't ignore it.

If he has kids and you are under the age of 35 (give or take) I would suggest you move on.

shh!----Your one-liner says "ignore Lloyd he is wrong". I'll take his response into account on this subject!

He has no children. He has never talked about his ex-wife, and I didn't think it proper to ask him about it. I wouldn't go out and purposely pick a divorced man to date, since there are so many unmarried ones out there. I just find him attractive because he is older, more down-to-earth and practical. He has shown an interest and I have been out on a few dates with him. Always very cordial and polite. Conversations have revolved around very safe subjects.

He doesn't show resentment. He just seems to have a protective bubble around him ie. 'This is my space, don't step in unless I invite you'.

I shall proceed with caution, as you have suggested.

Personally, I don['t think divorced guys would be all that bad. Going thru a divorce sucks; it takes time, money and a mental toll on you. Something that a man wouldn't want to go thru again, if he could help it.

Maybe that means he'd be more closed off, cautious whatever.

You have to trust that you yourself are a good judge of character, take it slow and just see what happpens. Good Luck!

It's good he has no children Chlorine!! That would make the divorce less messy and reduce the number of complications for you. Good luck, and keep us posted.