+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My brother drives a new F150!

My brother drives a new F150!

Wow. Both of these vehicles hit the exact same off-set barrier at 40mph. Now there's no question what would win in a head-on collesion between the two but then again the majority of accidents involve only a single car. All you have to do is look at the dummy's legs and you can get an idea of what would happen if you hit a wall in either car. The MINI had almost no intrusion which "indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well" - the F150 on the other hand had "Major collapse of the occupant compartment that left little survival space for the driver."

I'm interested in how a company could create a modern vehicle that could perform so badly on this test. Furthermore Ford had lots of space to work with to make this a safe vehicle. For BMW/MINI to do the job in 1/4 the space is what engineering is all about.

Keep in mind also this is the best selling vehicle in the US. One would think that Ford, knowing this, would have put more effort into the engineering of this truck. It gets worse; this platform is also the basis of both the Ford Expedition and to some extent the Ford Excursion. Both are marketed to be tough, safe, go anywhere SUVs and are sold as family transportation.

Why haven't we seen Dateline covering this. Why are they more interested in 5mph bumper tests - shouldn't this be front page news somewhere? There are millions F150s out there.

[url]http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150[/url]

I just thought I would share this. My parents are buying me a new car (of my choice). I told them I wanted a 06 Mustang GT, I think I may reconsider. I may want a 06 Mini Cooper!
    Last edited by Kellie_Sabrina; 31-05-06 at 03:48 AM.

If a raindrop was a kiss, I'd send you a shower.
    If a hug was a second, I'd send you an hour.
    If smiles were water, I'd send you the sea.
    And if love was a person, I'd send you me.

It's all about rigid body frame. Ford Evangelists (I can think of one on LF right off the top of my head) will quote you the stats on the two-car accidents as if that's all you need to consider. They should stop for one minute and deduce what it is that absorbs the impact in a one-car accident, since the frame of their vehicle wasn't designed to....

Oh, yeah. Their fragile human bodies.