+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A simple question

Stirfry Guest

A simple question

How many times are you asked this question in a day by someone who really wants to know how you are doing?

Maybe this is a silly topic for a thread, but I'd like to ask you...

How are you? How is life at this particular moment?

It's funny how many people I come across that ask without really caring about the answer you would really like to give...

I get asked this question almost 25 times a day. And every time I want to answer "it sucks." But Im too polite and work in a professional atmosphere which prohibits me from being a bitch.

I think people are making idle chat until I get them in the room. I also ask the question, but I can say with sincerity that maybe HALF of those people I do care how things are going.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

I hate answering those questions.

How am I? I'm standing, I look to be in one piece, I'm breathing and I haven't got 3rd degree burns or any deformities - WHY MUST YOU ASK HOW I AM?

And does anyone really want to give a response about how their life is at the moment?

Stirfry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    I hate answering those questions.

How am I? I'm standing, I look to be in one piece, I'm breathing and I haven't got 3rd degree burns or any deformities - WHY MUST YOU ASK HOW I AM?

And does anyone really want to give a response about how their life is at the moment?
    Well, you did take the time to answer missleepy...

It's just a question. If you don't like it, don't reply.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    But you see? That is exactly the reason people answer "I am fine". Very few people really want to hear the ugly truth.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Tedel Guest
    I usually reply with a 'hello', but if you really want to know, I am recovering from a bad economic situation and I think I'll be completely out of it by June 2008. Besides that, I have a lot of projects I want to carry out, including publishing my second book in January. My love life is practically null. Girls won't get seriously with someone with debts, and I'm not in the mood for one-night or one-week stands at the moment.

How are you doing?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I always ask how ppl are doing at work. And I take the time to listen to their answers. If they describe something negative, I ask if they are okay & is there anything I can do to help.

A lot of ppl actually do appreciate that someone cares just a bit. Its a way of making our interactions be more human, rather than just acting like machines with a job to do.

I have been in situations tho where I have to go in & take care of something immediately, in which case I will only say hello and head straight to my office. But I usually come out later & see how things are.

Thats so me Indi! Working as the front office manager in a dental practice, the obvious answers youd think youd hear are "how the hell do you think Im doing Im in pain?" But I always say "We'll take care of you." Most of my patients Ive established a friendship with and know their personal things so they appreciate it when I ask about their family. Theyre amazed when I remember their spouse had surgery or their new grandparents.

Im leaving that career and wont have those questions 50 times a day. I will miss THAT interaction with people, because in the attorneys office you dont have that influx of people.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrley View Post
    Thats so me Indi! Working as the front office manager in a dental practice, the obvious answers youd think youd hear are "how the hell do you think Im doing Im in pain?" But I always say "We'll take care of you." Most of my patients Ive established a friendship with and know their personal things so they appreciate it when I ask about their family. Theyre amazed when I remember their spouse had surgery or their new grandparents.
    Its ppl like you that are the reason that patients return to a business, thank you. I hope the new staff you are leaving behind carry on w/your manner. Its a difficult thing to cultivate in the new young employees esp when the longterm benefits are hard to see immediately.

Thanks Indi! The woman who was there before me, she was old and ready to retire, French woman, 90 percent of the patients disliked her and left. Within 6 months of me being there wind got around and bam. Within my first year of being there, I had doubled his practice. I am proud of that one!

Im a huge people person. Very outgoing. Non arguementive. Ive had people in 15 yrs of dentistry choose the office because of my phone personalty. Thats cool.

NOW Im kinda scared because I wont have all those people to talk to, that may drive me nuts. Law offices arent as laid back. I feel a sense of stuffiness know what I mean? But thats the biggest reason my husband wants to me work with him, because Im so good with people. Big bonus for him. His Law Firm actually offered me the position of THEIR Office Manager, OMFG no way. I couldnt handle all of those attorney's. But it was a compliment. Now Ive got another attorney his wife is a CPA she wants me to go work for her. I love that people have that confidence in me, but this is a whole new career, baby steps!

I know it will take them awhile to replace to me, it took them 6 months to find me. I feel bad about it. My last employer I was with him for 7 yrs and when I left to come here to Sarasota he was actually pissed. Oh well.

thanks Indi!!!

Lots of good viewpoints here. I notice that this particular question arises mostly in the workplace. Therefore, I believe that how seriously said question is taken probably mostly depends on the workplace and the general moral of the people who work there.
    Having said that, in my workplace people ask, seemingly without really caring. The reason? I say "Fine thanks. How are you?" and about 9 out of 10 times I don't even get a response back.
    Yeah...
    Truthfully, I prefer "good morning" or "good afternoon" etc.

BTW, how is everyone here doing today?

Feeling pretty darn good thankyou! Had a few somas on my heating pad dinner on the way! All is good right now!

How about yourself?

Just waiting for the last 30 minutes of work to pass, then it's off to home where I'm probably going to enjoy a few episodes of "Flight of the Conchords."