+ Follow This Topic

Thread: moving on.. too fast?

moving on.. too fast?

my girlfriend recently left for college and we were still both very close. we broke up because a long distance relationship was really just out of the question. it was pretty hard to get through and lately i've just felt kind of lonely, but finally i'm starting to "get over" it and move on. now though, about a week later, i'm think i'm starting to become interested again in someone i've previously been close with in the past. not only that, from what i can tell, she too is showing some hints of being interested. so now i'm torn between missing my ex especially because of the circumstances in which we split up and starting to look toward someone else; i just feel a twinge of guilt because of this. i'm not sure if i'm really looking for advice or just a response to this but any comments are welcome, i'm just not ready to talk about this with my friends because it seems a little too personal at the moment and i'm just looking for 3rd party thoughts, thx a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by aviola7x7 View Post
    finally i'm starting to "get over" it and move on.
    You're not over your ex.

You're young, so I say go for the other girl. But don't expect a lot out of it or for it to last long, especially considering you've got excess baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    You're not over your ex.

You're young, so I say go for the other girl. But don't expect a lot out of it or for it to last long, especially considering you've got excess baggage.
    yeah, that does makes sense, and yeah you're totally right about me not being over her, i think my choice of words was poor. i'm nowhere near actually getting over this, just that now, she is no longer always the first thing on my mind, regardless tho, she is still always there to some degree. thx for your advice as well as your warning, it's good to hear what i need to hear as opposed to what i want to.

I doubt you are over your ex, and I don't think you should date so soon. It would crush your ex to hear you moved on so quickly, and you run the risk of hurting the new girl, who may be ready for something more serious. There is no need to be blatantly emotionally reckless.

On the other hand, I see no reason why you can't flirt with the new girl, and if it comes up, you can tell her you wanted to wait to ask her out until you are reasonably sure you are over your ex.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    I doubt you are over your ex, and I don't think you should date so soon. It would crush your ex to hear you moved on so quickly, and you run the risk of hurting the new girl, who may be ready for something more serious. There is no need to be blatantly emotionally reckless.
    Not me. I would assume that he became so overwhelmed with feelings and this was his best way to deal emotionally--with a distraction.

Definitely let the new girl understand your intentions. It's unfair if you two have different views of where you guys stand.

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    Definitely let the new girl understand your intentions. It's unfair if you two have different views of where you guys stand.
    Forgot to mention that...definitely let her know what kind of relationship you're looking for with her.

If you really love her, take a second chance long distance relationship works too it depends to the both of you how you will handle.
    I know its difficult to move on especially if your relationship from the past don't have any mistakes and cheating happened.

sounds to me like a 'rebound' type of feelings u got there. My advice is just bite the bullet and wait for it to pass over, nothing good comes out of those sort of things, especially if this person is a friend from before or knew ur ex, makes it awkward etc..