+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Trying to 'Beef Up'

Trying to 'Beef Up'

Hey guys, I kinda need your help on a physical dilemma. I'm currently trying to gain muscle mass. I'm 5'8" and weigh 125 lbs. I have a six pack, but very small pectorals. I'm 15 going on 16 in 3 months. I don't want to stunt my growth or anything, but I kinda feel like I'm a bit scrawny. My shoulders are pretty wide since I swim a lot, but my upper arms are kindof weak. My upper body is pretty weak too. I'm a golfer, so my forearms are really built. They're actually more muscled than my uper arms, and quite noticeably too. I'm cursed with my dad's soccer genes, so I have chicken legs. Overall I have a toned figure, but I do want to be a bit more muscled. Some excercise ideas would be great, and I'll list my current excercise routine below.

-After breakfast 120 sit-ups
    -50 crunches
    -50 pushups
    -1 mile jog (Cureent best time 6:30) *only on weekends*

I haven't really done any lifting or things like that in school lately. I think I might start going to the weight room afterschool sometime soon. Thanks for reading and I hope you can assist me.
    Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

Neo is the weightlifter on here...he should pop on here sometime.

As for the legs. Take up cycling. Calves are probably the hardest muscles to build. I've got the skinny legs as well from soccer. I've taken up cycling been riding for about 7 months and my quads have gotten quite large. Calves have leaned out quite a bit as well, and overall they're a lot stronger.

I'm 19, 138lbs and 5'9". I'm a skinny ass lol. But I love the light weight for cycling, especially climbing.

Oh yea good idea! But um I heard that cycling causes problems with the family jewels..=O

Also some upper body excercises that dont require weights would be nice.
    Last edited by kapneb92; 05-09-08 at 10:51 AM.
    Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by kapneb92 View Post
    Oh yea good idea! But um I heard that cycling causes problems with the family jewels..=O
    You heard wrong, a bike that is properly fitted won't cause you any problems. If it messes with your groin, your bike isn't fitted properly and the worst that will happen is you'll start chaffing and get saddle sores(chaffing sores). Probably some immature kid telling you that because they think cycling is gay. Cycling is a very intense and physically demanding sport. Try riding with some group rides or clubs in your area. And you'll have a lot more respect for cyclist, there's a lot of intense guys that do tons of climbing. Not only that you'll see the crap cyclists have to put up with riding on streets with stupid drivers.

you help me ill help you.

how did you build up ur forearms? i really wanna do that. jacking off only does so much... if you have a sense of humor ull laugh at that

and for pecks and upper arm, try doing 3 sets of 20 dips each. from what iv heard that does wonders to ur upper body.

how do you guys have skinny legs from soccer?!?! my legs r freaking built. iv got huge calves and quads. only if my arms looked the same... lol

kapneb92, start eating more carbohydrates and protein. Examples of good carbs include oatmeal, brown rice, grits, sweet potatoes, and fruits. Good sources of protein are chicken, turkey, fish, egg whites, and lean red meat. Try to eat 2,500 calories a day with a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs/protien/fat.

As for your workout routine, start focusing on heavy compound lifts such as military press, bench press, squats, lunges, deadlifts, cleans, barbell shrugs, and barbell curls. These exercises will help you pack on mass quicker b/c you are utilizing more muscle groups to lift heavier weight than with isolation movements. You shouldn't stunt your growth unless you are lifting hundreds of pounds, which I highly doubt at your age and weight.

Neo has the right Idea. I started working out in a gym at 16. I was like you average hiegh very very lean and not much muscle mass. Im still not a huge guy but at 6 feet 170ish and 7% bmi Im a pretty ripped guy ( I was also a sprinter so that helps the metabolism). Do the basic lifts, bench, military, and I prefer machines to the barbell stuff so lat pulldown/pullups leg extentions, leg curls, calf raises. Just as good in my opinion and not awkward or loud when you have to drop weight. I hate doing trap exersices. I have naturally larger traps and its just annoying when they get sore.

dude a six pack and ur 15? that's awesome. When I was your age, I played video games all day and sat in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    dude a six pack and ur 15? that's awesome. When I was your age, I played video games all day and sat in my room.
    Same...I've tried everything. I don't think I'm ever going to get one. I've tried a very strict diet, intense cardio and core workouts for almost a year and still nothing. I'm 138lbs and 5'9". I don't think that belly fat layer is going anywhere for me.

neo's got the right idea, but one just one comment building on what was said by blackzj52, its only about how many reps but sets. After so many reps depending on the exercise you need to a give a min or two in between. So instead of doing just 50 push or 50 crunches (depending on how many you can do without stopping) try like 30 - 30 or increase the amount of reps in each set (since u cant increase the weight since its your own body). Even a third set could be beneficial. I'm sure there are some good ressources online for this sort of thing. But typically for building muscle you want to do more weight on lower amount of reps, 10-15 range is key.

Your looking to build your biceps. The rest of your body seems fine, with what you are concerned with. Do you have any equipment at home? If not, pull ups are very good for the biceps. I reccomend start out 10 pull ups, small break, try 2-5 wide grip pull ups, break, 10 more pulls ups, break, then try lifting some old ten pounders a good 50 times each side. Then do as many pull ups as you can. You can do this once every other day or every 2 days if you wanted to, but, you NEED protein. Without protein your not building anything. Protein bars are good as for all the protein food you can think of.

Stretch after you excersize though. You will still keep arm size, but you will be more flexible in your upper body, you dont want to walk around without the ability to move your arms . To help pass time, you can go on a tredmill and lift the 10 pounders and kill 2 birds with one stone, cardio and biceps work.

If you have any machines, or have access, then you can do better things that i could help you with.