+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanji Tattoo

Kanji Tattoo

Well, sort of had it in the back of my mind to get a tattoo someday, and as I don't like the flashy pictures and want one that I won't regret having in the future I'm aiming for a kanji tattoo.

However, as with any different language it's confusing me a bit, especially as the chinese simplified/chinese traditional/japanese characters seem to overlap here and there, so looking for input from pretty much everywhere to make sure that I don't make an embarassing mistake. So in case we got any asians or tattoo enthusiasts around here it's worth a shot, or perhaps kanji tattoos are way overrated.

At the moment I'm aiming for the symbol for "life" - Inochi - 命

But it's being a bit strange as first it is the 2006 "symbol of the year" in Japan, so its japanese meaning is apparently about that life is worth keeping (it was chosen to act against the increased amount of suicides occurring), but I also had a friend who said it's her family name in chinese and I have yet to ask what it means in chinese, and also "life" seems to have a different character to display it as well -

So the first one is definitely the one I'm aiming for, firstly artistically it looks like a house (doing architecture, so can't say no to that), secondly I want it as a reminder that you only have one life and should make the best of it, thirdly I use the english expression "life" as a way to shrug off bad luck or difficulties in a similar way to "joss" (hong kong) or "karma" (japan), and fourthly I'm mainly hanging out with the asian crowd around here, aussies don't interest me much. Thinking of it, the upside-down view of it is a bit annoying if you see it as a hand with fingers But oh well. Does anyone know what the literal meaning of the character would be?

So yeah, any constructive input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Lipp; 11-09-08 at 06:20 PM.

don't do it!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    don't do it!
    But why?

because the regret is hard to handle believe me. i have tattoos and i wish they would disappear. though at the time i thought it was the best decision ever.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

To be honest, Japanese tattoos are kinda' tacky and overdone... I wouldn't do it.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

get something that means something....i have a small redback spider on my hip...i was in Australia at the time....i'll never regret it!
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    get something that means something....i have a small redback spider on my hip...i was in Australia at the time....i'll never regret it!
    Didnt you just make an "Are you afraid of Spiders?" thread? lol
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    Didnt you just make an "Are you afraid of Spiders?" thread? lol
    Hahahaha! Good point.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

i'm not afraid of spiders :O hehe...
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Asian tattoos are so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    And a redback spider means....?

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    And a redback spider means....?
    i'm cool and a rebel j/k it represents a phase in my life that i went wild...the redback representing Australia and the good times....and that i'm tough .....don't mess with me hehe

Who cares if they're trendy or not trendy or whatever. If it means something to you, Lipp, that's all that matters.

I got mine this year, and have no regrets so far. I also put it in a hideable spot, just in case I need to "clean up well." I also waited until my thirties to get mine, to make sure I wasn't being too impulsive.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I like natural skin.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Japanese tatoos are like so 1990s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast