+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to be funny in conversation?

How to be funny in conversation?

I want to learn to be funny in small group settings, like 5 people groups.

I know people who can just spin every comment anyone else makes into a joke, and have everyone laugh at those comments. Whenever I try doing anything like that, I stutter, since my mind is trying to piece together a clever comment.

I'm a philosophy student, so I'm used to explaining difficult concepts. But when it comes to saying random stuff, I just freeze up.

Please help!

You either got it or you don't, my friend.

And you don't got it.

bump this up

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla80 View Post
    You either got it or you don't, my friend.
    Agreed. Good luck though.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Read. Read and read and read. Keep right on reading until your head is so crammed full of crap you've got an anecdote for every possible situation.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

You don't have to be funny to be interesting. I find philosophers alluring.

There is alot you can do in the telling of a story to make it humorous, everything from body language to facial expression to slight exaggeration of the details for comic effect. You don't want to go overboard with this of course, but I always get a laugh out of using gestures when I tell a story.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

You can be funny reacting to normal things or just making your timing different in certain situations. I tend to do a lot of stuff like that. It is also good to laugh at yourself I think. Anyway there are lots of different ways to be funny in your own way. Just keep trying things and be yourself.

The best thing you can do is start watching loads of comedies and try to pick up some short stuff.

Believe it or not but girls actually love it when you make casual jokes about them. Makes them laugh as well as wanted at the same time. However, there is a thin line between personal humor and insult. Be careful!!

hahaha i'm a philosophy student and I can be quite funny but i've noticed it depends on how comfortable in particular contexts.

Like with people i know or with one or two people i can be quite funny but with situations i'm not comfortable in i'm not funny.

A lot of it is believing in yourself and not worrying too much about it, people are likely to forget one bad joke if you tell many and often you can get on a roll. Those that seem funny tell many jokes and those bad few are often forgotten.