+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open mind...what's it all about?

open mind...what's it all about?

Someone who has an open mind is receptive to new ideas or information.

Being open-minded about something is a willingness to consider that it may be true: it also means considering the possibility that it may be false. A truly open-minded person's mind is open to both possibilities.

Open-mindedness is considered a virtue.

An ability to not dismiss an idea with sneering contempt, simply because it does not fit within your preconceived notions.

Open minded people have views but know that their views do not have to be held by everyone. Open minded people also know that their views can be wrong.

what is your personal definition of an open mind? and do you consider it a virtue?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I think it's a good thing most of the time. Having an open mind, like you say, is being open to new ideas. This means that you'll listen to others, while you agree or not. You'll have other views to compare yours to and then decide whether the way you think is right or to re-think because the other idea makes more sense. So you'll learn a lot more by being open minded rather than just shutting off to other ideas.

It has to be coupled with good judgement though. Being open minded would also mean you're more open to try new things. It's not always a good idea to try something new, as in the case of drugs for instance.
    Women marry men hoping they'd change.
    Men marry women hoping they won't.
    So each is decidedly disappointed.

- Albert Einstein

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I consider myself open-minded. However, I require evidence before I'll consider a concept. I don't care how whacky a theory you have, if you can show me something tangible that supports it I'll lend it some credence.

'Course most of the things people bitch at me about for being narrow-minded have absolutely no support. People know something's true because they feel it in their hearts or they had some kind of personal and totally unverifiable experience. In those cases I do sneer and look down.
    Last edited by Gribble; 16-10-08 at 03:09 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

“Maintaining an open mind is essential when exploring the unknown, but allowing one’s brains to fall out in the process is inadvisable.”

My friend had an argument with a guy who thinks it is impossible for cowboys or gangstas to be gay, believes Catholicism (lol) is the only acceptable set of religious beliefs, believes Catholicism was the first religion ever, and that the only sensible relationships are with promiscuous people.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm pretty open minded unless, like Gribble says, someone makes a claim to something that has no credible evidence whatsoever.

I will always listen to and consider someone's point of view, whether I agree with it or not. I'm also a big supporter of the old saying "To each his own." I don't care what other people do or believe really.....because it generally doesn't affect me.

The only thing I can't be open-minded about is things that are hate-based or promote hate, like anti-abortion groups or the KKK. I try to understand them, what sociological or psychological factors are affecting the way they are (and usually come to the conclusion they're too narrow-minded to know better), but I don't 'accept' it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The so called "open mindedness" of societies leads to them sucking and being weak and nonproductive. All the greatest societies had national norms and things that were simply acceptable and other things that simply weren't

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In short:

Not all ideas are created equal.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    British Empire, Roman Empire, WWII Germany (sorry but it has to be included), US up until recently, Japan, China now, Soviet Union, all had norms and this worked into their "greatness" (obviously not great in every way!)

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    British Empire, Roman Empire, WWII Germany (sorry but it has to be included), US up until recently, Japan, China now, Soviet Union, all had norms and this worked into their "greatness" (obviously not great in every way!)
    Thanks for pointing out that strict belief systems are a crucial part of state control of the populace and inequality. I'm sold.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
    Thanks for pointing out that strict belief systems are a crucial part of state control of the populace and inequality.
    The belief systems don't have to be "strict" dickhead

The belief systems don't have to be "strict" dickhead
    Either way, your idea is flawed in that a lot of screwed over, poor countries have "national norms" and some things are acceptable and others are unacceptable.

Dickhead.
    Last edited by Bokonon; 16-10-08 at 10:59 AM.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You don't have to be open minded when you can ban people and delete their opinions.

You don't have to be open minded to not give a damn either.

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    Someone who has an open mind is receptive to new ideas or information.

Being open-minded about something is a willingness to consider that it may be true: it also means considering the possibility that it may be false. A truly open-minded person's mind is open to both possibilities.
    It can be very difficult to accept a point of view that one doesn't believe in. How do you justify it to yourself? Wouldn't it be considered untrue or fake? The maybes in your example are not concrete, they are more like philosophical constructs, elastic and abstract. If accepting these defines an open minded person, then it means the open minded person is not factual and open to confusion.
    Last edited by Mish; 16-10-08 at 02:27 PM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast