+ Follow This Topic

Thread: tiny houses

tiny houses

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-q3yrsTAJQ"]YouTube - Tiny Houses[/ame]

I just saw this story on CNN about tiny houses. These houses cost about 20,000 and they're probably about the size of my studio apartment (which would cost me about a ridiculous 300,000 or more to buy). They're also portable. The guy who designs them says that he did so because he was tired of being a "slave to space."

What do you guys think? Maybe after what's happened with our economy, there is going to be a new movement towards scaling down.
    Last edited by starbuck; 25-10-08 at 10:46 PM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

bah I can't stand it. Personally I need a sense of space, I don't know maybe I'm mildly claustrophobic but I just can't do small spaces. No idea if this has to do with being taller tho.

That and I'm an artist by nature I love space for me to mess up while I let my creative juices flow.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I could probably do it if I lived alone and they were twice as big. I would need to have space to have people over for dinner and a normal bathroom.

Check these out: [url]http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/tiny_houses.html[/url]

I like the one on the water and the one in the tree (but I couldn't live like that).
    Last edited by vashti; 25-10-08 at 10:45 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Those are really cool, Vash. I love the round "treehouse" in that pic. It kind of reminds me of the house in Sleeper, the Woody Allen movie. I could definitely see myself living in something like that if I were still single. I'd have to give up alot of my possessions though.

I think I could live in a tiny house as long as I had net access and cable TV, although getting access to those might be the problem. If I needed a place to work, I could just rent some small office space somewhere.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

those houses are so cool!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think the houses we have today are insane. Even the smallest house is a sprawling mansion. I could live in something like that alone and be perfectly happy. It wouldn't be much good for someone who wants a family, though. Maybe I could buy my wife a separate house. Now that's a marriage I think I could handle.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I have always dreamed of an ecohouse. Also, used shipping containers can be good material. I like how they build those awesome piles of dorms from shipping containers in the Netherlands.
    Don't expect anything.

my grandparents lived in separate houses. there's a very small house in my grandparents back yard and that was his house.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I want my own house! But not a shipping crate house. They are ugly.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

It's a nice idea, though the only real difference between them and a caravan seems to be e design, that some of them are stationary and that they connect directly to the pipelines. So its hardly a novel idea.

I'd consider one if I was living on my owns, and basically just use it as storage/workspace/digital entertainment while otherwise doing anything else would be outside of my property, which wouldnt be so bad.

But I'd say no if it would be for a couple, especially with kids.

Wow the designs are so beautiful! I could do it if they were 2-3 times the size like vashti said.

I really like the minimal look of this one: