+ Follow This Topic

Thread: post-break up help

post-break up help

I am in a very complicated situation but I will try and make it short. I have been with this girl for more than 6 years and in the last year she was really expecting for us to get engaged. I wasn't acting on it because I was basically an idiot. She slowly drifted away and one day told me to get my act together ( right before I left for a 1 month trip )

I did a lot of thinking during that trip and realized I want to be with her. I bought a ring before coming back - really nice one.

The first few weeks were sort of ok but she was either 'cold' or 'hot' and finally today she told me that it isn't working out and she feels like I'm trying too hard and she wants to break up. I said fine but I gave her the ring. I told her that before she leaves for ever she must have the ring. I told her she can sell it and buy a car or whatever, I don't care, the ring is hers and I was an idiot for not proposing earlier.

She was really moved and in tears and so was I but I didn't let anything show. A couple of hours later she calls me up and asks me to go out and talk. We do, it's awkward and she tells me that she believes she needs a 'waking up' like the one I had before going away. She told me she wants to be away from me in order to realize how much she misses me and that it was already hard without me. She's skipping work the next two days because she's down and so on. I told her I still care about her and want to build something with her and she said she just wants time to think.

I may have moved a bit fast by changing my status on Facebook to single and that seemed to bother her a bit. On the other hand, I don't know how to act around her anymore.

On one hand I feel the meeting was a mistake - like I gave in too easily. She called and I was at her house in 30 minutes.
    I want to be hard to get without giving her the impression I don't care about her! It's also killing me to wait for her while she decides and I'm at home staring at the walls.

What am I supposed to do ?

the following I am in a very complicated situation but I will try and make it short. I have been with this girl for more than 6 years and in the last 6 years she was really expecting for us to get engaged. I wasn't acting on it because I was basically an idiot. She slowly drifted away and one day told me to get my act together ( right before I left for a 1 month trip )

I did a lot of thinking during that trip and realized I want to be with her. I bought a ring before coming back - really nice one.

The first few weeks were sort of ok but she was either 'cold' or 'hot' and finally today she told me that it isn't working out and she feels like I'm trying too hard and she wants to break up. I said fine but I gave her the ring. I told her that before she leaves for ever she must have the ring. I told her she can sell it and buy a car or whatever, I don't care, the ring is hers and I was an idiot for not proposing earlier.

She was really moved and in tears and so was I but I didn't let anything show. A couple of hours later she calls me up and asks me to go out and talk. We do, it's awkward and she tells me that she believes she needs a 'waking up' like the one I had before going away. She told me she wants to be away from me in order to realize how much she misses me and that it was already hard without me. She's skipping work the next two days because she's down and so on. I told her I still care about her and want to build something with her and she said she just wants time to think.

I may have moved a bit fast by changing my status on Facebook to single and that seemed to bother her a bit. On the other hand, I don't know how to act around her anymore.

On one hand I feel the meeting was a mistake - like I gave in too easily. She called and I was at her house in 30 minutes.
    I want to be hard to get without giving her the impression I don't care about her! It's also killing me to wait for her while she decides and I'm at home staring at the walls.

What am I supposed to do ?

edit:

I also forgot to mention the following. Initially she said she wanted to break-up and after I gave her the ring she told me it's not fair for me to do that now. That I knew if I waited a month she would come back to me and why am I insisting so much now. I told her I understand but that once she breaks up with me it's final and there's no going back - I'm moving on. When she called me later on tonight and we met, that's what she told me again: that I am forcing her to stay with me by threatening to not be there in a month and that she needs her space and that she always knew she will be with me. I sort of gave in and told her I'll wait a few weeks and I feel that this made her feel more safe. Is this a good thing or not ? What if after 3 weeks she decides she doesn't want to be with me anymore ? I don't want to be her safety net but I do want her to know I still love her. What's the best course of action here ?
    Last edited by catharsis3k; 13-11-08 at 10:12 AM.