+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering Lifestyle Changes.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Considering Lifestyle Changes.

Right now my life is of fair luxury, a side of practicality with a dash of frugality.

I have a balance between eating in as well as out.

The only large purchases I've within recent months have been tools for work.

I pay 22 dollars a month to rent any 2 games from Gamefly, so besides any sales they have (I'm talkin' no more than 15 bucks), I haven't needed to purchase any 60 dollar games. So in one sense I'm saving a lot while feeding my gaming habit. And I play games alot. With or without my girlfriend/roommates because I also pay 50 dollars a year for the on-line service. Which means I'm paying...almost 320+ dollars a year to play games, not to mention the time that goes into them as well as the electricity to run the TV and system every month. 320+ a year.

So while that's probably 70% of my entertainment budget (which isn't a lot), I feel like I'm losing out more on the quality time factor. My friends don't play with me like they used to. But they've been trying to get me to buy a gaming PC so we can play like old times. I just don't know though.

I feel like maybe I should wane off, or cut the videogames altogether. There's more to life, more to learn, and while I really enjoy videogames, I feel like they're almost like a drug. I can waste hours on them (and not one in particular) and I never feel like I've accomplished anything outside of those little virtual worlds. I'm just having trouble doing this.

My social life has been picking up, and I'm wondering if I should cultivate this more. But I feel like I'll need to cut out videogames, and even the internet to some extent.

I don't seek out new music like I used to, I haven't read a book in ages, I don't have the same friends I used to hang out with.

AmeriCorps was one of the best years of my life to date, but I don't want it to stop there. I had virtually no videogames besides a DS then. I got on the internet very rarely, and only to check e-mail, weather or get directions, I didn't even stop by here frequently. With those distractions gone I put my energy into other things. Maybe I need to take a break from technology as I know it.

Either put away or sell my videogame system, limit my time on the internet (this forum). Try to get to know these new people better and hang out with them more outside of ultimate frisbee. It's hard though. Even in AmeriCorps I used to day dream about playing my games, shootin' the shit (no put intended) with my buddies while we played our games on-line.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a little crazy because I save so much money and don't go crazy spending my money, but I don't even have health insurance, which is infinitely more important than playing videogames. Maybe if I just put that money elsewhere, I won't be able to misuse it since I'm not making anymore money I just need to re-prioritize it. I'd love to just have it all, but in this day and age, it just won't be the case.

Sorry this is a long rant, but I cut a lot out.

people (i.e social life) are much more important than video games or the internet

EDIT: but i think it is important to keep money aside for emergency health issues that might crop up
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 22-11-08 at 07:12 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    people (i.e social life) are much more important than video games or the internet
    Well no duh, but that's like saying ending war and world hunger are more important than watching TV. This isn't just about what is or is not more important, it's about restructuring my lifestyle to fit my financial limits. I cannot have all of these things without going into debt.

Like I said, I've been developing (slowly) a new social life in my new home but it's not as easy as it used to be. I don't feel like I'm in dire need for more/new friends, I just know that it can be enriching to one's life, and can lead you down some unpredictable paths.

I'd also like more money to spend on my car, or maybe purchase of a new one.

I'd also like to go camping more, or hiking.

Like I said, if I could afford all of these things, this wouldn't be such a big deal.

well, it's about priorities, simple, make a plan and then figure out how much more (if any) you can spend on the things you want duh hehe
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just reduced my Gamefly plan from 2 games a month (22 bucks) to 1 game a month (15 bucks a month).

Now I need to start researching for health insurance.

dunno if this helps just somethin i looked up, you prob already know all the in's and outs (but just incase) but i feel for you not having insurance, it's not fair that in the US you have to get it independently

[url]http://www.foreignborn.com/self-help/health_insurance/5-ins_terms.htm[/url]

Fras, you are wonderful. You are one of my favorite people, online or off.

Go with the hiking. That will be great for you.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Fras, you are wonderful. You are one of my favorite people, online or off.

Go with the hiking. That will be great for you.
    Yay!

That was a bit random, but it makes me happy!

Anyway, I was saying to my girlfriend that it's sad that Eco (foreigner) was able to provide me with information pertaining to the US's overtly complicated health care system.

I also need to muster up the drive to stay active now that it's cold and I barely sweat a work anymore.

it's good to not spend money.

have you ever read the richest man in babylon?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No...is it some kind of financial guide?

Like so many others living in a place where its cold outside I used to play an excessive amount of games when I was younger, but fortunately I cut that out, and don't watch the regular telly at all. If I'm bored I'd might spend an hour or so on Warcraft III online, its easy to drop it when a round is over, or try yet again to get my WWIIOnline to not crash again, either that or watching a downloaded movie, but I'd say that it's alot better not to waste time anymore.

dude why can't you go have sex with your gf that should cheer you up

Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    I was going to say more but I will credit you response to you username.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    The hell?

I'm not depressed.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know how much I can contribute to this discussion... I really don't understand the fascination with video games. Even my kids never really got into them. I'd let your friends buy the latest system, and you could go to their house to play when the mood strikes you.

I can tell you for sure that interacting with real, live humans will ultimately be more rewarding.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast