+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Thinking about a pet bird . . .

Thinking about a pet bird . . .

I'm thinking about getting a pet bird. My sister has fish. And turtles. And a rabbit. And the family has a dog. I just figure, "Hell. I want a bird."

I used to have a parakeet. And she was cool. Very nice, never bit, always jumped on your finger, very cool in general. But now it's dead. And been gone for almost ten years. And I want another bird.

I was thinking about an African Grey. Regarded as the smartest parrot alive. With the intelligence/vocabulary of a five year old child and the emotional equivelant of a two year old (which means tantrums here and there, but generally easy to train and if you're nice and calm with it, it's nice and calm with you.)

I saw a clip of "alex" (the most famous african grey) which resides at some institute where they are testing the intelligence. It's proven that these particular parrots don't 'just mimic', but actually think and process thoughts prior to talking. If you look up "alex african grey" in google, you're bound to find a short clip taken from the discovery channel.

It can tell colors and shapes and sizes. And it even has the capability to ask for what it wants (it's so cute! In the clip Alex is sitting there and says, "Tickle. Tickle." cause he wants his head scratched. And asks for water cause it was thirsty.)

But at $1000+, I couldn't do it. Not to meniton these birds live fifty years or more so that's a time commitment I don't know if I can handle yet (seeing as I don't know what my fulltime job will be).

But I might get a parakeet at the end of the summer. And then I'll dress up like a pirate. And I'll go "AARRRRR!" and my parakeet will say, "WALK THE PLANK!! WALK THE PLANK!!!"

Then that "L" on my forehead will increase in size and really jump out at the women.

Alexi

Aww a bird hey Alexi? Thats cool- I had a finch his name was Zack. I loved that bird. He sang to me right before bed time...and never said a word a night-awesome bird. I moved and gave him to my brothers girlfriends mom-she went and got Zach a woman-and they had some babies...then good ole Zach couldnt resist his chillins and had sex with his daughter and they had babies...I had one horny bird!!!

Birds are a cool pet. I cant have them now cause Ive got two cats that would tear their ass up! Go get a bird Alexi-for me...I miss mine.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Wow! What a wacky household that will be! Fish, bunnies, dogs, turtles, birds.....a virtual "zoo" of sorts! lol Go for it Alexi. I prefer a cute, cuddly docile kitten, but hey, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy18
    I prefer a cute, cuddly docile kitten, but hey, that's me.
    Yeah. Kittens are cute. There's only ONE problem . . . they grow up to be cats. Independant, unpredictable, kissing, swatting, scratching, meowing cats. And cats, well, suck.

Alexi

NO they dont...theyre awesome! OMG my cats are wonderful! They know when Im down-and love me to pieces...my oldest cat whose like 4 years old has conversations with me...I love my cats...
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

I agree Squirrel. Cats are amazingly empathetic. More than people give them credit for. Binx knows when I'm sad and he'll comfort me in a way no human could. Just by 'knowing' I'm not feeling myself and curling up in my lap purring or just by rubbing up against me until I pick him up. Plus petting them has been said to lower your heart rate, so it's very calming. Even when I'm not down, Binx is very affectionate. He sleeps with me, watches TV with me, even hops in my lap sometimes when I'm on the comp, (I think he's jealous! lol). We just got a new kitty, (Bennett) and he is the most adorable creature. As soon as I get a photo of him I'll post it in the gallery.
    Last edited by Breezy18; 09-06-04 at 08:00 PM.

Let me tell you about birds. All they're good for is aiming their butts where ever they want to and fire that nasty crap all over the floor just to keep their cage clean. I'll get a bird and feed it to my snake!
    Love doctor in the house!

I always wanted a pet monkey, one with a suit a hat and a cane, and he would live in my pocket, and he would smoke tiny blunts and swing his cane around with his tail. yeah, that would be awesome.
    im the shit like mr.hanky

THROWING ROOTBEARS IN YO FRIDGE BEHATCH