I think there are pros and cons to the dating scene in 2009 compared to the 1950s. Many old-timers would say things were as good as they got in the 'good old days.'

I think there were upsides and downsides:

Upsides to 1950s:

* People were less busy, and there was more chance for spontaneous socialization, and meeting of prospective partners.

* Your parents - rather annoyingly, most of the time - sometimes 'helped' you find Mr or Mrs Right.

* Certain standards of physical beauty weren't AS superficial as today.

* Women are a bit more naive and innocent; a lot weren't, of course, but in general they looked up to men more (no I don't suggest we go back to this era).

Downsides:

* Court-ship was often long and arduous. While one night stands have always been around, back in those days a man might have to spend a year courting a lady to make her 'his.'

* Family was often very conservative and particular. For the most part, interracial, inter-religious, even inter-denominational was out. Chaperones...

* Many pairings for not done for love or compatibility. Divorce rates were lower more because of social stigma than anything else.

UPSIDES to 21st century

* More avenues for dating; online, speed dating, more social networks, and old fashioned ways.

* People are more open; especially to dating outside their race, religion.etc.

* More travel makes long-distance relationships possible.

DOWNSIDES

* People are so busy with work and are less willing to sacrifice for relationship.

* Social alienation - a lot of interraction has moved from the real world to cyber-space, making us even more strangers to each other.

* We're not as much in for the long haul...fewer people honestly go into marriage or even a relationship imagining it lasting forever. They almost assume it will end sometime - that is nature' course.

I'm not batting for one or the other, I'm just wondering which era is better for dating and marriage.