+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Sad reality check today.

Sad reality check today.

I went out on a ride today with like 25 other guys from our local riding group. We stopped at a little town on a well known riding route and had lunch. While we were eating a group of Harley's passed by and waved at all of us eating and we waved back. We finished up lunch, got suited up and rolled out about ten minutes later.

As we were making our way up through the pass out of town, a helicopter flew over us which was kind of strange. About 10 minutes after that, our group came around the last corner at the top of the summit and that same helicopter was just powering up to take off. Gravel and dirt were going everywhere as we all shielded our faces and bikes the best we could.

Apparently one of the Harley riders lost control in a corner and hit a cement barrier on the edge of the road, tossing him and his passenger over it and down an embankment, we got there in time to catch the aftermath. There was oil and coolant all over the road and plenty of pieces of bike along with it.

I found out tonight that the driver passed away and the passenger is in critical condition.

I am standing 10 feet from where that helicopter landed in my last gallery picture. Its kind of surreal when you witness this stuff and are so physically close to all of it.

Sometimes I wonder if the price to do what I do is worth it. I guess the love for what I do keeps me in the game.

Stay safe on the roads and please look twice for bikes, they are coming out in force in conjunction with the nice weather.

R.I.P
    Last edited by Cbrider; 20-04-09 at 02:15 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Seen quite a few bike wrecks.. and read about many more of them in the newspapers. It's always a sad thing.. but it's the risk you take when you're essentially riding on a rocket with nothing more than a one-bump's-worth helmet and quarter-inch thick leathers... don't have the luxury of a steel cage like a car has.

However, all that aside... I still wouldn't give it up... it's the embodiment of peace and freedom... riding that edge.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    However, all that aside... I still wouldn't give it up... it's the embodiment of peace and freedom... riding that edge.
    You people need to go up in a plane for an hour. Now that's the embodiment of peace and freedom. Plus it's a helluva lot safer.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Stay safe on the roads and please look twice for bikes, they are coming out in force in conjunction with the nice weather.

R.I.P
    I see just as many idiots riding bicycles and motorcycles ****ing around and disobeying the law as I do morons who don't know how to maneuver their SUV through traffic.

(An amusing side note, Prius drivers are statistically more likely to cause accidents than non Prius drivers...)

But, like I said in one of the other motorcycle threads. It always looks like it'd be fun. However the question isn't whether or not you'll get in a wreck, but when, how bad, and how many other people get hurt in the process. I know 0 motorcycle riders that haven't wrecked at least once.

While I have been in car accidents, it has never been one caused by me, and I've never been the driver (other than getting rear-ended twice) during them.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    I see just as many idiots riding bicycles and motorcycles ****ing around and disobeying the law as I do morons who don't know how to maneuver their SUV through traffic.
    You're going to get that with any major group, unfortunately is easy to judge and entire group based on the actions of a select few. You don't see the good riders generally speaking, they are out riding, not stunting around town. I only say look twice because its easy to miss a motorcycle, I get merged into on an almost daily basis and its not because I ride in blind spots.

I have never crashed, but I am prepared for it to happen. I have all my bases covered and I ride armored to the teeth. I like my skin in the places it should be. Hell, I was looking through all my riding gear in my closet the other night and looking at the receipts I have. My protective gear alone is worth 1/3 the value of my bike and I am looking at getting a 1 piece suit in the near future.

3 things you don't skimp on with motorcycles:

1.) Oil
    2.) Tires
    3.) Gear

------------------------

This is why you think we are all reckless or stupid.

[url]http://boiseriders.net/attachments/riding-gear/239d1240091783-definition-wtf-nogear.jpg[/url]

This was in the dunce corner of our forums.

The Warmonger

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm pretty sure I already mentioned that in the hospital, they are referred to as "donor cycles". It's really sad to see the impact the accidents have on the families.

I agree with Lite that it is more a question of WHEN you are going down rather than IF you are going down.

I'm wondering what the hell the heli was doing powering up right next to a road. Curious landing if anything.

there was this guy on the freeway yesterday that was going at least 120mph. i was doing 80 and he was going waaaaaaaaaaay faster than me.

i was like, you're ready to die tell god i said hi.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    I'm wondering what the hell the heli was doing powering up right next to a road. Curious landing if anything.
    Its the only spot on the pass where there is enough room to actually land a helicopter and give the rotors enough clearance. I knew they landed them there, I just didn't realize they didn't bother to block it off.

Apparently a guy hit a deer in about the same spot last night around 6 after they cleared off the first bike. Its a friend of a guy in my riding group. He apparently saw the deer, knew he couldn't stop so he sped up to finish the job. Killed the deer instantly, he rode it out until he got to the guard rail then did a peanut roll off the bike and onto the shoulder. Walked away with only road rash.

The Warmonger

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    That doesn't necessarily make someone an idiot or a moron you jackass