ewwwwwwwwwww what does it smell like?

nevermind.

::i don't want to know::
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    ewwwwwwwwwww what does it smell like?

nevermind.

::i don't want to know::
    Smells like cheap Victoria's Secret perfume.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Blue, Giga and Cairenn I think you nailed it. I read this post and was like, OMG this is the story of my life. I think I also subconsciously seek validation, but I am trying to be more aware of it. I had a hard time my last year in college after my father died, and the guy I really liked rejected me. I'm starting to come out of it and be my old self again, but what you guys said really puts stuff in perspective. Thank you.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    Blue, Giga and Cairenn I think you nailed it. I read this post and was like, OMG this is the story of my life. I think I also subconsciously seek validation, but I am trying to be more aware of it. I had a hard time my last year in college after my father died, and the guy I really liked rejected me. I'm starting to come out of it and be my old self again, but what you guys said really puts stuff in perspective. Thank you.
    This is the solution I came up to my own tendency to seek validation in others (from the thread [url]http://www.loveforum.net/personal-development-forum/27240-fighting-compulsion-serve.html[/url] ) :

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about the steps within this cycle... I feel insecure or rather not worthy... so in order to prove my worth I have to show it... demonstrate... so I go forth and do something seemingly worthy in hopes of earning recognition of my worth.

Hence:

Unworthy > Demonstration > Gain Worth

But this cycle can loop over, especially if my actions did not seem to benefit me or only partially achieved what I had hoped.

Hence:

Unworthy > Demonstration > Not worthy enough > Demonstration >Still Not Worthy Enough ... Etc..

This cycle is highly dependent on validation from others, and this validation can vary greatly from one person to the next.

So the way in which to 'break the cycle' more or less is to realize though validation is required for self-worth to be defined... it cannot be defined outside of ones self. Rather this worth can only be defined by yourself... and only use the opinions of others as a guide if you so choose - but their views are not required.

So the process needs to go more like this:

Unworthy > Demonstration to Oneself > Accepted As Being Worthy Based On Your Own Set of Values

Now this cycle may repeat but only when definitions of self-worth are to be updated... such as when the opinions of others seem to hold merit... you feel they have valid points and would like to adopt this within your own definitions. In essence, a person's definition of self-worth should only be changed as newer - better - definitions are found... so that the process can become progressive.

I have failed to realize validation of self-worth is defined by myself... and that once my self-worth is defined, it should only be updated in favor of better definitions of which I truly agree with.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

no we had just walked in. i swear they took one look at her and knew.
    They'd already had some of her before- she was just too drunk to remember.

one time i was on a ski lift with three guys and we passed this tree with all kinds of beads thrown all over it. for a few seconds after they were making comments about panties on a tree and coming up with stories about how they could've gotten there. i was sitting closest to the passing tree and i did not see them at all.
    My hubby took a pic of that tree a couple of months ago.
    Spammer Spanker

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think guys go after easy women. They're not that calculating. I think guys go after girls they want to f-ck.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    I don't think guys go after easy women. They're not that calculating. I think guys go after girls they want to f-ck.
    Yes, but, why is that all they seem to want?
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    Yes, but, why is that all they seem to want?
    That hasn't been my experience in life. In sleazy bars, maybe, but in real life, most guys seem to want girlfriends.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post

I've noticed a trend with men as they progress in life.

When they are young they go after women they want to ****..

They get a little older they go after women that offer less complications and more reliability, but they still would want to ****.

As they get even older... they go after women that offer less complications, more reliability, capable of being a real good friend, and they still would want to ****.

And then finally, they go after women that offer less complications, more reliability, capable of being a real good friend, they are sure they love, and they still would want to ****.

Some guys go through all the stages in just a few short years. Some guys take a few decades. And some guys never reach the final stage.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12