+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've noticed something

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I've noticed something

Talking the talk counts for way more than walking the walk. I took two internships when I was in college. The first was with a small-town paper. I edited, I printed, I published, the whole nine yards. The second was at the Washington Post. I learned how to make a palatable cup of coffee and how to copy papers.

Guess which internship employers are most interested in when they interview me?

I got a new job about a month ago. I'm making way more money than I ever expected given my lackadaisical approach to work. I know that I was competing against quite a few other candidates. I know that many of them were more experienced than I. However, I still got the job.

I'm dating a wonderful young woman. She's beautiful, she's smart, she's extremely talented, and one of these days she's going to be raking in boatloads of money. There's just no holding her back.

There was another guy who wanted her. He was somewhat soft-spoken and very nice. He seemed to genuinely care about her.

In both cases I believe I got what I wanted because I have a pleasant voice, I can tell an okay joke, and I make people comfortable. I'm an okay orator if I do say so myself.

That's it, though. I'm all ready calculating how long it'll take to for me to earn enough scratch that I can quit my job, buy a boat and cruise up and down the coast for a few months. I don't care about that job. I don't even like it and I'm certainly not better than several of the other candidates.

This girl I'm dating, I'm with her because she happens to live five minutes from the office. I swing by her place after work, fool around, then go home. In another week or two I'll be bored and ready to part ways. That other guy had real feelings for her. He would have done anything to make her happy and I have little doubt that he'd have been in it for the long haul. But I can make her laugh and he can't.

What's up with that? It's all good for me, but what the hell? Can't people see through that crap? Do they simply not care?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I see through your crap and I still like you. What about that?
    Spammer Spanker

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I see through your crap and I still like you. What about that?
    Well, you're just crazy. But you're sexy so it's okay.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm thinking most people either don't care, or are living in la-la land.

In the case of your job, the probably just looked at WHERE you worked, and not what you did. It's kind of like getting a bachelor of Arts in English from Yale or a Doctor of Optometry from Oregon U. Yale just looks better (to others), even if you did jack shit there. Maybe they just don't care what your experience was at either job......maybe it's just enough to them that you got hired at the Washington Post.

As for this girl, well....maybe she didn't want anything serious yourself. Maybe she does see through the shit. You said she's talented, she's obviously moving up in the world.....maybe she just doesn't want to get tied down herself? Women DO do that as well, you know. Sometimes it's fun to see someone casually and get laid but not have to commit.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

My daddy may be watching but what the hell....

It's who you know and also how social you are. In the work world, you might as well take advantage of it. In the romance world do as you both please. It is sort of cool to "brag" but after a while you don't give a crap anymore (that's in the romance world) and you want to see more walking than talking.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, Giga reads minds.

Whassamatter Grib, things going just a bit *too* well for your fuked up masochistic brain to take? Nothing like a bit of self-flaggelation for it?

That, or your just posting to stir up shit. Are you writing a relationshit column now & need material?

EDIT: I better change my 'good' to 'well' before the English police show up.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 22-05-09 at 03:33 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Women DO do that as well, you know. Sometimes it's fun to see someone casually and get laid but not have to commit.
    Yep, that's a strong possibility.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Feeling a bit better about the stumble you took during the 'walk'?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i wanna see gribble's recent pic!
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post

Whassamatter Grib, things going just a bit *too* well for your fuked up masochistic brain to take? Nothing like a bit of self-flaggelation for it?
    He's probably just feeling guilty for failing in bed the other day.

[url]http://www.loveforum.net/off-topic-discussion/30177-failure.html[/url]
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I saw that thread. Is that really what this is about?

She was only pissed b/c you didn't go ahead and do this, Grib:

[url]http://www.videosift.com/video/Robin-WilliamsLadies-do-we-look-like-this[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    What's up with that? It's all good for me, but what the hell? Can't people see through that crap? Do they simply not care?
    No they can't. That's why having good people's skills can guarantee you success and get you out of almost any situation. Majority of people are completely oblivious to what's good for them, they just go by inertia with the flow. Caring these days is a quality that works against you.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    This girl I'm dating, I'm with her because she happens to live five minutes from the office. I swing by her place after work, fool around, then go home. In another week or two I'll be bored and ready to part ways. That other guy had real feelings for her. He would have done anything to make her happy and I have little doubt that he'd have been in it for the long haul. But I can make her laugh and he can't.
    Are you starting to develop a conscience? Or are some feelings of guilt biting you in the behind?

You're a 'bad' boy. Women like that and most women know very well what they get themselves into.

I'm quite sure when you encounter the right gal, you'll become more serious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Are you starting to develop a conscience? Or are some feelings of guilt biting you in the behind?

You're a 'bad' boy. Women like that and most women know very well what they get themselves into.

I'm quite sure when you encounter the right gal, you'll become more serious.
    If your attitude is confidant then people will respond to that much more than one who is needy. This other guy may have "needed" her too much, and if you're attitude was just like, what the hell, life's a party, I can't think of many people who won't be more attracted to that. Same with jobs. Can you share any of your job getting talk you talked? Some of us need jobs <----- this guy
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    If your attitude is confidant then people will respond to that much more than one who is needy. This other guy may have "needed" her too much, and if you're attitude was just like, what the hell, life's a party, I can't think of many people who won't be more attracted to that. Same with jobs. Can you share any of your job getting talk you talked? Some of us need jobs <----- this guy
    Right on.

-----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast