+ Follow This Topic

Thread: going over to bf's 1st time

going over to bf's 1st time

arrrggghh this is kinda major for me

he's been round now three times and met all my family. Now towards the end of the week i'm going to his and it will be all his family there.

I'm excited more than nervous, but a lil apprehensive about how the converstions will flow.

When he came to mine, we chatted, ate and after that everyone practically left us to just hang out.

But with his family, i think they're gona want to get to know me and try and 'pry' a little.

So if you was the in-laws-to-be what would you ask?
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

As a "future in-law" I would personally ask open-type questions such as : What you do for a living ( even if I know it from my son, I would want to hear about it from you too) whether you enjoy what you do, what you think about our town ( if you are new to it), ask about your family...something like that. Questions may be different, but there is a general advice I can give you: be yourself, smile, look in their eyes when you speak to them, be complementary and interested in what they have to say. Even if it is a story about something you consider insignificant Every family is different, but before I was meeting my in-laws I asked my boyfriend what I could bring to the meeting for his parents ( favourite wine etc), and in my mind "played out" the meeting couple of times imagining how we enjoy each other's company ) It went smoothly, eventhough I was a little nervous and I think it showed. My lovely mother in law later said she found the latter endearing )

Good luck to you, I am sure you'll love each other and find lots to talk about ( btw, find out what his parents hobbies are, so you are prepared to contribute to a discussion if it comes up in a conversation )