+ Follow This Topic

Thread: what to do in a relationship with no future

what to do in a relationship with no future

So this weekend I had something happened and I dunno how to precede from here.

The background as I’ve posted before I’ve been with my boyfriend for five months now. We’ve mentioned marriage a few times, but nothing in a serious context but it was to my understanding while it’s nothing we want right now our dynamic seemed as though marriage could happen in the future.

Anyway this weekend we got into a fight, and during the course of the argument he made it clear he did think that our relationship would go any further than dating. He said plainly he did not want to marry me, and didn’t see that changing. He wants to still date me but that I should know right now that he has no intentions of this lasting. He gave me the option to stay or go knowing that was how he felt.

I know I can not stay with him expecting his feelings to change. I have feelings for him, and he was someone I could see marrying, however marriage is not something I’m interested in right now, and not interested in pursuing someone for a marriage.

However I don’t know if I should stay with him knowing he’s not actually in this to win this… for lack of a better phrase. Just judging from yesterday after the fight I was miserable… it was like watching a movie you already know the ending to. He wanted to hug and kiss, and it just wasn’t enjoyable, but it could just be because it was an emotionally draining fight.

So my question is do I walk away because I know it has an end, or do I do stay until the relationship ends of its own volition?
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

Ick... I dunno, lady. I'd be outta there. I'm not the marrying type, but when a guy says there's no chance of a future, regardless of what he believes "future" should entail, that says something about the level of interest/compatability... and it's not a good something.
    I'd feel, personally, as though he was just using me for companionship until he found someone more suited to his desires.

So you thought you were traveling down an open road and suddenly he pointed out the sign that said Dead End.

I don't think you'd be wrong to walk away from that, and it wouldn't make you marriage-crazy or anything, just someone who wants a relationship with limitless possibilities.
    Spammer Spanker

i don't really want to break up. the relationship for the most part is a fulfilling one. But now everything feels different.

i know right now it's not a good idea to be with him because i'm ****ing miserable, and nothing would ruin what we do have faster than crying all the flipping time around him.

But I just don't know what to do when I get my emotions all settled down. I guess I'll have to figure that out when the those do settle down.
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

I really have to wonder what a guy thinks is going to happen when he says to his girlfriend, "I will never marry you.". I mean, what the **** does he think she's going to do? Jump for joy?
    Spammer Spanker

i guess i'm glad he did not want to lead me on, but kind of ruins the ending of the movie you know.

i know it's probably because i'm a big ball of girl emotions right now (he has great timing) but holding his hand hurt, having a conversation hurt, my good bye kiss this morning... it was like... "oh, that's great i guess but i know how this ends"

like when someone tells you a character in a show you've started watching dies. You just detach because you know they won't be there when the show ends... but you keep watching it right... ergh

No... it's a little different because you're a real live person and you will still have to deal with those emotions after he tells you the show is over.

Get him drink tequila.
    Then get him to half-ass propose to you.
    Blame it on tequila.
    At least you get what you want to hear even thought it's half ass...

Okay joke aside, he's just being an ass or a realist but more or less it's better if you break up with him now.
    You missed your chance to slap his f**king face when he said I won't marry you... damn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    By Giving You The Finger, Not The Index Or Pinky, Nor The Ring Or The Thumb, I Am Able To Tell You To **** Off Without Wasting My Breath.
    I like this

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    So you thought you were traveling down an open road and suddenly he pointed out the sign that said Dead End.

I don't think you'd be wrong to walk away from that, and it wouldn't make you marriage-crazy or anything, just someone who wants a relationship with limitless possibilities.
    If you were hoping for marriage, I don't see any reason to drag things out.

If you are truly okay with what is basically an extended fling, then stick around.

Depends what you want. Only you know this. But, somehow, you seem the marrying kind to me. So, thank him for his honesty (I don't think he's an ass for this, btw, many guys wouldn't be this honest), thank him for the good times and leave while you can still hold your head high. He could have broken it off with you, but seems to me he's giving you the opportunity to save face in this regard.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh