+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating long distance...

Dating long distance...

I'm glad I stumbled onto this forum as I've never done the long distance dating thing before and it's hard to find advice on the topic, everyone's experience is unique so any advice would be great.

The situation is:
    I'm 34 and meet a girl (30) at a mates wedding which I flew down the coast for (1800miles) we got along very well but only spent one proper day together. I told her I was coming down again in 5 weeks for a motorsport event and wanted to take her out and spend some time with her. She sounded keen and we spoke about once a week via Phone or sms. We went out when I got down there and spent a couple of days together and slept together a couple of times. Before she drove me to the airport I told her I'd like her to come up and see me, she said yes but it would have to be in about 7 weeks time due to work etc... A few days after getting home she was sms'ing me about dates and booked her flights. That to me was a good sign, showing she is keen.

I realise it's still VERY early days and we won't see each other for another 6 weeks. I don't want to seem overly keen nor do I want to seem like I'm not interested. I mean she booked a flight 7 weeks before seeing me, personally I wouldn't have done that till the week before in case things didn't work out.
    Currently I seem to initiate most contact. We send the odd sms during the week but really we only communicate about once a week. I make an effort to talk on the phone once a week but is that enough, would she be expecting more or should I expect more from her?

Thanks in advance

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow, seems like things are moving pretty fast. Yeah, since you aren't actually seeing each other, I would have expected a bit more contact by phone, but maybe she is interested in a no-strings-attached type of thing, and is okay with minimal contact. Maybe you should discuss this with her?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unless she works for an airline or has open seat tickets, I'd be a bit creeped out if someone I just met already booked tix to fly to visit weeks ahead of time.

On the other hand, you two already slept together, so I suppose its already moving fast.

Skype more. Find out about each other. Suggest mbe you discuss travel plans together next time, in order to make sure noone's schedules are going to conflict. Be nice in how you bring this up, tho, to not seem overly critical.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

thanks for the tips.

I wasn't creeped out by her booking the flight that soon, just surprised and flattered at the same time. Like I said I would have waited till the week before just in case. Also we did agree on the dates before she booked so there wouldn't be any scheduling conflicts.

I thought about bringing up the "expecting more contact" but since the romance is in such an early stage I feel it would be a little to full-on and probably freak her out. But I know what you mean.

I guess I'll just move it along at my own pace unless she speeds it up. I'm starting to think she's happy to respond to affection but a bit shy in initiating it, unless its in the bedroom.