View Poll Results: Do you think that people generally take our advice on LF?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they often take our advice.

9 33.33%
  • No, they go do what they want anyway and don't follow it.

18 66.67%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think that people generally take our advice on LF?

Do you think that people generally take our advice on LF?

Take for example, the people posting in the general love advice section. Do you think that they generally take our advice? Or do they go off and do what they want anyway?

Most don't come back and update. So I always wonder.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Answer B. Totally, or 90% of all posters are B. I was one of them
    I wazzzz here

I believe that most people come here for commiseration, not advice. They want to be heard. Some are open to listening to what others have to say, but most are just backed into an emotional corner and looking for relief.
    Spammer Spanker

I think the poll is too black & white. I've taken the advice I get here, but I do falter from time to time during moments of weakness.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

I voted B, too. I think one needs to be in the mindset of wanting help and most just aren't.

Although I think if the forum can help just a handful along the way to have an "a ha!" moment which might keep them from making a mistake they'll regret, then it's totally worth it.

Well I actually took your advice, so I have to vote for A.
    To reminisce won't bring you back, just look ahead and hold on tight.

I vote B for majority.

I miss the members who would come, not get the advice they want, throw a fit and say they are gonna delete their account.

Those were entertaining.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Quote Originally Posted by shheadz View Post
    I think the poll is too black & white. I've taken the advice I get here, but I do falter from time to time during moments of weakness.
    Well, it's supposed to be to a certain extent. There is always a grey area of posters that follow some of the advice. Or all of it, but then make the same mistake in a completely different circumstance.

I certainly wouldn't that people should follow LF advice like a mantra. After all, people should make their own choices and mistakes sometimes. As long as they're not causing the suffering of others, they can be good learning experiences.

For this particular poll, I'm more or less referring to the people who make one post, and we never hear from them again.

You've crossed the line into *gasp*....regular!

"One of us! one of us! Gooble Gobble we accept you!" <---Very twisted movie reference.

i think some of our advice is really hard to follow. like when we encourage somebody to get a divorce or leave someone they're miserable with. those things have to happen on their own time. but i think eventually they follow it, or they see why we advised them that way. at least if they don't they take it to heart.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

+1 for the Freaks refference!

I don't know about the one time posters, but I notice people who post in a thread 3 or 4 times will often scream about how we "don't understand", "you people are cruel" or "our relationship is unique" THEN take our advice. That's always fun.

When I finally left my drunk-ass, neglectful husband, I got flack here for "not dealing with the problem". I didn't take it too personally- that person had not just spent 10 years with Mr. Stinky.

I got some great advice from forum posters about the rocky moments in my current relationship, though. You guys are great at getting me to simmah down, now.
    Spammer Spanker

Even if people don't follow our advice to a T, they do keep it in mind and it does seem to change what they would've done otherwise (even if just a little bit).

For that reason, I chose A.

Also, we tend to remember the instances where people don't follow our advice more so than when they do.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
    Also, we tend to remember the instances where people don't follow our advice more so than when they do.
    Maybe because they are majority?
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    Maybe because they are majority?
    Or maybe because the people that follow the advice don't come back, so they are hardly noticed.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think it's just the forum, it's human nature in general. When you're having relationship issues, you want to talk about it with whoever will listen. Everyone will give you an opinion....your mom, your online forum, your best friend. No matter who gives it to you, you don't take the advice until you're ready.

I think a lot of people come on here in fresh pain needing an emotional release, someone to talk them down off the ledge so to speak. They may hear what we say, but they don't take it to heart until they're ready. Some are ready right away, but most need more time.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast