+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round the World Trip

Round the World Trip

I'm doing it, finally.

I think I'd mentioned it before, the older members who remember me will know, but I've finally got some solid dates and a "plan". I put that in quotes because my plan is NOT to have a plan. One city will take me to the next and so forth.

I'm starting my ultimate trip around the world . I leave my current job (the one that didn't allow me to be a regular poster like before) on March 29th. I find a new temporary home for my furniture and release the house I'm renting and I'm off to Albuquerque for a couple of weeks or months! I'll be seeing sombra there. Then I'll cruise around the states for a while, passing by a few cities of interest, if I like it and if it's easy for me to do so, i'll stay a while in that city. Since the world is a pretty big place, I want to set a time limit as to how long i stay at any one place to about 2-3 months, unless I find it to be a convenient hub for cities around it. In the states I have these cities in mind after burque: San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Philly, DC, Boston, NY (I definitly want to stay in NY for a couple of months), I'll coast up to Toronto just for a couple of days, then make my way to Chicago where I'll stay for a couple of months also, possibly.

I'll continued heading west, probably as high as seattle, then cruise on down the west coast again, maybe see Shorty again?, down through LA..I may stay there for a while too, then San Diego, then through vegas, phoenix, then I'll reenter Mexico through Hermosillo. Then back to Chihuahua where I'll get my hair dreaded, take a few pictures for a couple of days, then chop it all off again to begin heading south through more of Mexico that I haven't seen. Probably work at the beaches to build up cash and then visit the quaint places as I make my way to Mexico city where I'll also spend a little while. Then I'll go through Central America and then South America. I don't know how long that will take me, but, eventually I'll end in Brazil and stay there a few months longer, until I pick up on Portuguese pretty well (I've got friends there too, so that won't be too hard).

From there I'll try to hitchhike or find a way to cross the ocean (swimming???) into Australia/New Zealand. Then to Asia and I'm on the ground again through Asia and into Africa, then finally in through eastern europe and through western europe. I definitely want to spend some time in some of those cities. Finally I want to see about Antartica and reenter the states through Alaska. The last destination will probably be Hawaii before heading back down to my Chihuahua when I'm finally ready for the rest of my life...meaning I can tie myself down with a house, steady job I will retire with, etc. My travels from then on will consist of revisiting the places I liked most with the friends I made along the way .

So let me see if i need updating..Sombra, I'll be seeing you in Burque. Illusional at the very end in Hawaii, Frisbee in Philly. Is Cybog still around? He's in LA or San Diego, right? as is Vishnu, but she's always been afraid to meet people me (I remember ). Shorty in the bay area, Arty in Boston. Who did I miss from the tenured crowd?

And those of you I mentioned (who I also happen to trust) who, that I don't know, seems like a trustworthy/may be down for a visit kind??

I may just have to visit more often and find out...

Fras hasn't been in Philly for a long time. He's in NOLA as far as I know...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nomas, if you need passage to Oz, there are often sailing couples looking for crew on their boats. A lot more than you think. Google, you'll be surprised what turns up.

Or, PM me. I can give you more specifics.

- Indigo

I actually heard about that from some frenchmen I hosted and an Aussie I met here. See there's this network that has made this trip sooo posible for so many people, it's [url]www.couchsurfing.org[/url], so I'm in it and I've hosted a couple of people and they give you good tips! I'm thinking that's how I'll get me accross oceans, but I won't start looking right now as the time comes closer, definitely!

Hmm, I'm out of the loop, so Frisbee's out of Philly, hopefully I can still meet up with him. Does he still post now and then?

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If You want some help with Europe then just say I can help You find the cheapest ways to travel here ( and give some tips to visit ). Cool trip!
    I wazzzz here

I didn't see Boise, ID on that list. You're missing out!

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by nomas View Post
    I actually heard about that from some frenchmen I hosted and an Aussie I met here. See there's this network that has made this trip sooo posible for so many people, it's [url]www.couchsurfing.org[/url], so I'm in it and I've hosted a couple of people and they give you good tips!
    That is a really neat site! Canada has >30000 couches, but WOW Germany has >70000. US is predictably large (based on size). China has only 15000, again some interesting stats.

Only 30,000 couches in Canada? What the hell do you people sit on?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ice blocks. Tho, to the dismay of the Olympic committee in Van, its looking like green grass without a miracle.

I'm only 8 hours from Winnipeg, you know. Last semester, my friends and I were thinking about spontaneously going there.

I couchsurfed in Ireland. It was a great experience.

Adding Boise to the list, then.

So housing probably won't be the biggest challenge. the challenge will be finding jobs along the way to get me from one place to the next (if hitchhiking fails) and, of course, food. the trick will be finding cities where I can get a job under the table to be able to continue from there rather than go back and build more cash where I can work legally.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Charlieboy may have some tips for Europe, too nomas. He's Australian, but traveled in Europe for nearly a year.

When do you think you'll be in New Mexico?

Also, Arty hasn't posted in ages.

BTW - I enjoyed your pics in the gallery. Loved your curls, especially.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I'm only 8 hours from Winnipeg, you know. Last semester, my friends and I were thinking about spontaneously going there.
    You should definitely go. It might help bring their population into the double digits.

Got tips for sri lanka if you're passing through it

But yeah, generally it should be easy enough to get through the states and europe, might need a bit of background research on transport options when it comes to less developed parts of africa, asia and south america, it can be tricky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast