+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Feel depressive:(People say that the power of positive thinking will help.Is it true?

Feel depressive:(People say that the power of positive thinking will help.Is it true?

I am struggling recently with one of the worst moments in my entire life and I am still searching for remedy for help... Many people told me that only positive thinking can help me but I feel powerless....

I found a short article written by Dr Janet Crain, which touches on it:

"Power of thoughts is immense may sound like a cliché to many. But I have come across so many individuals who have actually changed their life by determined and positive thinking that it is hard for me to ignore it.

i hope that you agree that thoughts are actually the starting point on which our actions are based. If you are 100 percent determined to succeed, come what may, then there is no reason that you will not succeed because accordingly you will work hard towards your goals.

This does not mean that there will be all work and no play for you. On the contrary, hard work and determined efforts will actually fill you with a sense of achievement, making you more relaxed and a fun-loving person.

Another common characteristic, I have found in all the above-mentioned individuals, is their attitude towards facing problems. It is not that they don’t worry about problems, or don’t get stressed about it? They are humans, so they do go through all such emotions. But what distinguishes them from us is the fact that they also have the will power to accept the problems and challenges, as these come in their life, and find ways to deal with them too.

Approaching a problem in a logical and positive way is difficult if the situation is entangled with emotional issues. But treating each problem as an opportunity to improve skills, grow and evolve is what can be termed as the winning formula that gives you the strength to change your life."

But how to reach the moment when you actually are able to create a load of positive thoughts in your head and heart??

I feel really desperate....

I second your question. What the hell is positive thinking anyway? Not something you can force yourself to do, I reckon.
    Time to stop complaining when there is no reason to. Life's good, man.

Positive thinking will lead to bigger disappointments.

If you think negative, you won't be disappointed when something bad happens. If eventually something good happens, the joy will be greater due to low expectations

Works for me anyway
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Positive thinking is to think You can make it, that if it can't be worse than it is now, then it can be JUST BETTER. It's thinking that there are no questions without answers, there are no problems without a good solution. This is positive thinking and it's not destructive at all, hope always gives more power , hope for better of course.
    I wazzzz here

Martha

May I ask why you are feeling depressed...did anything in particular trigger depression?
    And how old are you?
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

I'm kind of in a funk right now too. Death of an amazing friend last weekend and then hearing some unsettling news about people who I thought were decent who are just despicable it turns out. And I miss my family. I can't change any of that right now, but I can do something for myself. I'm going to hit the gym tonight and tomorrow after work. Going to crank up some loud, angry music on my ipod and bust some ass on the treadmill/elip machines.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Mishanya found a website once that really helped me. I'll try to find it for you.
    Spammer Spanker

But how to reach the moment when you actually are able to create a load of positive thoughts in your head and heart??
    Probably not the right advice for everybody, but it's okay to be depressed. Trying to force yourself into a positive mindset isn't always very positive. It's often heavy, even worse than the situations which led to your depression in some cases.

Imagine trying to force something which isn't happening because you feel weakened or diminuished it the eyes of others. Who or what do you think is most often going to win in a situation like that?

So go with the flow until you break and remedy, but keep an eye on time. A few weeks or months is okay, years aren't. Also remember that depression is a function of the human body and mind. It serves a purpose or it wouldn't exist at all, so it and you are not "unnatural" or any weirder or lesser than the next guy or gal with a few issues of unknown origins to work out.

If you're in the years stage, there's nothing shameful or embarassing about seeking an added hand. That may even have been what you needed to do all along in some cases. Merely ask for help... the asking is the point of it all in such cases, not the surrounding environment which helped pave the way to that point.

Oh, and btw. I just previewed before replying. It looks like crap advice, but it worked for me.. so who knows?

For me- accomplishing goals, reminding myself of the saying, "this too shall pass", working out, forcing myself to get out and be around other people and have fun EVEN when I don't want to or feel like it, trying to get ENOUGH sleep (but not too much!), drinking red wine occasionally, eating chocolate when I feel like it, using my vibrator, going to rock concerts, and being adventurous helps me to be positive and keep my mind off the things that bring on the negative feelings- try not to dwell, just accept the bad or sad things for what they are, try to view them in a positive light or find something good out of that experience- cause even death can be viewed as an end to suffering and a beginning to eternal peace- and carry on with a positive life.

yeah positive thinking works.
    Its like the self fufilling prophecy, if you constantly think negatively about things (especially about yourself) then they will come true, or you will percive them to be true. That said, if you think about the good things (again especially about yourself), then you will see them alot easier and as such you will feel better and have more confidence.

When I'm down (I have been alot recently) I always try to find something positive in the situation I'm in. If you look hard enough, you'll find something, I'm almost positive Also, another good thing to do, is do things to better yourself as people have said, I find going to the gym helps, also doing little things, like brushing your hair or making sure your nails look good can help, all these little things add up, or they do for me anyway, I guess everyone is different though.

Hope this has helped x

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    yeah positive thinking works.
    Its like the self fufilling prophecy, if you constantly think negatively about things (especially about yourself) then they will come true, or you will percive them to be true. That said, if you think about the good things (again especially about yourself), then you will see them alot easier and as such you will feel better and have more confidence.

When I'm down (I have been alot recently) I always try to find something positive in the situation I'm in. If you look hard enough, you'll find something, I'm almost positive Also, another good thing to do, is do things to better yourself as people have said, I find going to the gym helps, also doing little things, like brushing your hair or making sure your nails look good can help, all these little things add up, or they do for me anyway, I guess everyone is different though.

Hope this has helped x

I disagree.

Thinking positive will give you too much false hope.

Your point:
    if you constantly think negatively about things (especially about yourself) then they will come true, or you will percive them to be true.
    is a good one.
    BUT when you think negative (like me) it is important NOT to lose sight of reality.
    for example:
    If i'm preparing to go for a ride (biker here), I'll presume it will rain a lot which will ruin a lot of the fun. But when the day finally comes and it's nothing but sunshine. That is a very good sign and I will enjoy the ride that much more. If it does rain that day, I won't be too disappointed, because I've mentally prepared myself for it
    Now, if I let the negative thought get to me and I do become "depressed" (for lack of a better word) about the entire day, I could let those feelings ruin my fun, while it's actually a very nice day.

So it is important to live in the moment, and enjoy every good minute. And I do. Just don't let the negative thoughts get you down, but use them to prepare yourself, should something bad happen
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

There is no simple solution, no quick fix, which is what that article is trying to sell you.
    You need to work through it, it sucks, it's hard, it hurts, but that's all there is to do.

If you don't have a friend you can talk to about things, then maybe a therapist is the way to go.
    Sometimes you just need to talk about it. It isn't a magical fix, it isn't instant, but it does help.

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend, and about the "loss" of your friends.
    The former I sympatize with, the latter I can empathize with.
    You will be okay, it will be okay.
    One day at a time.