+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Has Anyone Else Gone Through This With Friends. . .?

Has Anyone Else Gone Through This With Friends. . .?

My biggest pet-peeve post break-up:

When friends *immediately* try to set you up with someone else!!! It's been a little less than two months since my break-up but a month ago a friend of mine wanted me to call one of her friends because she could "set me up with a doctor". Um. . .what??? And she's done this to me before during another break-up. She gave my number to one of her guy friends without my permission. I absolutely *loathe* being set up. I think it's awkward and, more often than not, I'm not interested in the guy and I have to find a way to let him down easy (and I don't like "letting people down" period.) All of my exes I have met "organically" - meaning we met under normal circumstances (at a party, etc.) and immediately hit it off. Then we'd date and end up in a relationship. When I'm ready I'm certainly capable of meeting someone new. I just wish my friends (well, this one in particular) would respect the time I need to take for myself to heal.

Does anyone else have pushy friends?

Or. . .who else hates hearing (following a fresh break-up):
    "You can do so much better!"
    "He/She didn't deserve you!"
    "There are plenty of fish in the sea!"

I know our friends mean well but, until time heals us, we miss and long for our exes. That's just how it is.

Don't let it get to you.
    Believe it or not, your friends are just trying to be there for you.

They probably havn't been in the same situation as you have, so they wouldn't know what exactly would make you feel better. They do know, however, that they feel better when they date or when they're in a relationship, so they think it would help you as well.

EDIT:
    And sorry, but there are plenty of fish in the sea.
    And there is someone better out there.
    It's hard to believe it, but it's true.
    There IS someone out there, actually, multiple people, out there that will love you for who you are and want to be with you. There's people out there that wouldn't leave you.

It's easier said than done, I'm going through the same situation right now and I know you're probably reading this and you know deep down it's probably true but you don't want it to be. :/

Yes, that was my life up until 6 months ago. I am pretty shy and also stubborn. I hate being forced into something, it just never worked for me. I too would get pretty upset with my friends who were hell bent on setting me up. One friend actually told me that she just wanted me to be as happy in love as she was so I guess I understand that. They want you to be happy but you just have to tell them you are uncomfortable being pushed into things that are unnatural for you.

I should actually note that I was sort of set up with my current boyfriend. We noticed eachother and there was chemistry and my friend introduced us.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hated my friends for saying that stuff too, but in the end I realized it was all true.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Can I ask you something for girls opinion?
    I was at my friends church and she was with her boy friend.
    So im hanging with them and it was cold so i wanted to go inside to warm up,
    but when i try to leave she grabbed my arm and told me that if i left it would be
    awkward. so i stayed there trying to figured why she did that, then we went in the
    church and everything else went fine.
    but im still trying to figure this out. can u help me?

HopelessLove:
    Hmmmm. . .I'm not really sure. Is this a new relationship for your friend? It sounds like she's not interested in this guy and was afraid if they were alone he'd make a move on her. So she wanted you close by to make sure nothing happened. That's the only reason I wouldn't want to be alone with a guy. . .