+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long distance relationship and a reluctant boyfriend...

Long distance relationship and a reluctant boyfriend...

Hi all ^^

Just need a bit of advice/opinions really. Basically, my boyfriend and I live about 3 hours away from each other, the time spent apart is heartbreaking in so many ways and I'm desperate for something to change. So, last month I asked him how he'd feel about me moving to where he lives. He said it was an awesome idea and would love nothing more than for us to be closer. Great, I thought, we finally have a solution! I have enough money saved up to comfortably afford my own place for about 6 months, which would give me enough time to get a job and since my college course can be extended to night classes (hairdressing), I wouldn't be missing out on an education either.

The "problem" is, he hasn't mentioned it once since that night we spoke. I've sort of subtly brought it up here and there, but he either seriously hasn't a clue what I'm talking about or he'd just rather not get into it. I've even browsed the internet with him sat next to me, looking at apartments in London, just to see if he'd say anything and the only thing he asked was, "What's a studio apartment?" o.O

I have no idea why he'd have an issue with me moving to his city, it's not like his life would change, we'd just be closer and able to see each other more often - which I thought he'd want! He's forever saying how much he misses me and how hard it is to be apart, yet I offer him a solution and he doesn't seem remotely bothered.

I have no idea where to go from here. Do I just give it up as a lost cause and sort my life out without including him in those plans?

Thanks for listening to me rant ;p

EDIT: I have brought it up with him directly BTW, when I thought he was still serious about the idea, and I might as well have been asking him what he wanted for his dinner, that's how enthusiastic he was! He'll maintain it's what he wants more than anything in this world, yet his actions say something entirely different. Sigh.
    Last edited by Sophomore_Slump; 22-03-10 at 07:02 AM.

They always say it's a huge mistake to move your life around and arrange it around somebody else because if you guys don't work out, where does that leave you? It sounds like you are going through pretty extreme measures to make this relationship work. Logically it makes sense but you don't know where you guys will be a year from now. What would happen if you didn't work out?

How long have you been dating?

What would you say are the biggest problems you guys have as a couple besides the distance?

I don't like the fact that he is kind of dodging around the topic because this is a huge move in the relationship and if this relationship was as important to him as it is for you, you'd think he would be more vocal on the topic. It's a risky move.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.