+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I was wondering...

I was wondering...

Why this guy repeats so much my name, not in person. Actually in person he just calls out "hey". But, when we are online we chat, and he repeats way too much my name.

Why do guys do that? I mean, if we already now we are talking to each other, why is he emphasizing?

I sort of feel he (not only him, but everyone who calls me by my name all of a sudden) that they are angry, or dissapointed.

Maybe he is one of those "textroverts," a person who is more outgoing and friendly when texting or e-mailing than in person. Also, I think it's a Dale Carnegie-type technique to use a person's name a lot if you're trying to get them to like you. It's all in the delivery, though, and it sounds like this guy needs to work on his delivery. Anyway, I think he likes you and is trying in his own clumsy way to get you to like him.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Maybe he is one of those "textroverts," a person who is more outgoing and friendly when texting or e-mailing than in person. Also, I think it's a Dale Carnegie-type technique to use a person's name a lot if you're trying to get them to like you. It's all in the delivery, though, and it sounds like this guy needs to work on his delivery. Anyway, I think he likes you and is trying in his own clumsy way to get you to like him.
    Are you serious, or you just came up with the "Dale Carnegie-type? lol

It's straight out of How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie. A lot of salespeople have read it. (I am not a salesman.)

"Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language."

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    It's straight out of How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie. A lot of salespeople have read it. (I am not a salesman.)

"Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language."
    I see, sounds a good book.

Still, he aint a salesman either, so i dont think he read that book, so still his intentions might or not be those explained in the book, i would like to think he does it because he likes me.

But it's true, its like i feel people are angry at me, still i like it, it makes me feel special. Like he actually takes time to write it.

My dad was a salesman, and he swore by some of the tips in that book. Another good one... try to get someone undecided to agree with you by setting up a pattern of yes-responses. Start out with innocent and easy questions, like nice day, isn't it? Each question should be easy to answer with a yes. Finally, the salesman asks a question that you might not have easily said yes to, like can you spare a few minutes to talk about your insurance needs? You have said yes several times in the last few minutes, so there is a chance that you will say yes before you stop to think. Now he has a chance to makes his sales pitch.