+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I pick up the pieces

How do I pick up the pieces

Hey all how's it going?

So here's my situation. I'm a college senior with exactly a year left until I graduate. I had been dating this girl named Megan off and on for about a year and six months. We had previously had "separation" time intermittently because of larger life arguments ie. marriage, kids, religion, etc. About two months ago now we ended things.. and by that I mean I ended things in the relationship. I had 18 credits/classes out of the max of 18 credits you can take a semester in addition to a 20+ hour a week part time job and a personal training internship at one of the larger gym chains in town.

Essentially she was complaining all the time and with good reason that I wasn't able to give her what she needed in a relationship due to how busy I was all the time. Eventually her friends and family started speaking up and comparing me to their boyfriends and saying I was not working hard enough to make her a priority in my life. I'd argue otherwise with my given situation however. At any rate the breakup was something out of a Hollywood movie. I said my peace with her and explained that I wasn't being the good boyfriend she was looking for with how busy I was and that I could she that she was hurting when I couldnt be there for her. I basically ended things to try and give her a better situation than what I was able to give her. Night ended with her running and jumping on the hood of my car as I was leaving her house.

My issue is I can't seem to get over her after 2 months. Is that normal? I know she plans on being at the same university as I for another year. I unfortunately see her all the time due to the size of this town and the fact that my friends seem to be friendly with her. She also has tried to get my best friends to go out and party with her on more than one occasion, and has also showed up at events I was at, just so she could hit on my good friends. I see her all the time out at the bars/clubs and it just makes it really hard to shake the feeling like maybe I was wrong to break up with her.

I just came to the realization this weekend that I've been self medicating myself with boose to try to make it easier to cope with. A 24 pack in a 3 hour night is never good. Any advice would be just swell. Trying to find the best way to get over her is not easy.
    Last edited by Switch226; 03-05-10 at 02:25 PM.