+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parents Dont Like My GF.. I TOLD THEM TO STOP INTERFERING WITH MY LIFE

Parents Dont Like My GF.. I TOLD THEM TO STOP INTERFERING WITH MY LIFE

So, I ended up breaking up with my gf this weekend.. and I felt so bad about it. I wasn't sleeping well and I was crying in privacy not to mention I was complete dick about it.

My parents gave me an ultimatum. It was either them or my girl friend. And at the time I chose my parents because I'm so used to them controlling my life. I made her really upset and I made myself really upset. I really like her a lot and I don't think I will meet anyone better.

So I decided to her anyway even if my parents don't approve. It's my life, not theirs. I can't have them controlling my life. I love my parents but giving me an ultimatum like that is wrong.

I just can't believe I did that. I just feel so much better about myself for finally sticking up for myself. Do you guys think I did the right thing? I just like her a lot and my parents don't, but they haven't even met her. I'm getting her back even though my parents are against it.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

How old are you? Your parents shouldn't have too much control over you and who you date, but if you are nearing the age of 18, then you should be out on your own soon, and what they say wont matter anymore.
    I'm not good at beating around the bush or sugar-coating things. My responses are never personal vendetta's on your emotional state. It is what it is, whether you choose to accept it or not. <3

You'll be out from under their constant supervision soon, Raze, and get a little breathing room.
    Spammer Spanker

you're in your 20's from what i remember right? it's time to, like you said, stand up for yourself and be counted- with your gf by your side if you want her to be. i agree with Giga, you need some breathing space.
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.

You are 23 aren't you? Sorry, but at the age of 23 I knew my own mind and there is no way in hell I would've allowed my parents to dictate my life/who I saw and who I didn't.

I didn't read all of your other thread though - maybe they had a good reason to issue ultimatums.

I have a very over protective father who was fussy about the guys I'd get involved with and when I was around 17, 18 and I'd rebel, lol. But he was just looking out for me and of course he could spot 'arsehole' qualities in these guys, that I couldn't see.

not all 23 year olds are equal. please remember that.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

^What do you mean by this?

that some kids whom I know who are in their 20s are completely immature and can not possibly make their own decisions.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Are you the same poster who's gf was saying stuff on her FB, insinuating she wasn't happy and you felt bad because you promised her sushi but were/are kind of short on funds?

It seems like you worry way too much about making other people happy. Yes, its nice to have the approval of others but ultimately it is up to YOU to make yourself happy. Stop running around in circles trying to please everyone else, its making you miserable. You are young. You will make mistakes. You will piss of other and sometimes hurt peoples feelings. Its part of living. At the end of the day its your life, live it for you. No one else.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?