+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 5 years and she needs a break?

5 years and she needs a break?

Hi i've recently had my 5 year anniversary with my girlfriend, thinking things between us were going fine. A week later after this she tells me that she feels the spark has gone in our relationship and she may not love me anymore. She said it may be a phase and suggested a break or time to think about her feelings for me. She did say that she felt the relationship was now getting serious and it's at the stage where we may spend our lives together.
    I still love her and it's killing me waiting for her to decide on how she feels. I was just wondering if this could be a phase or if she really has fallen out of love with me? and if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do?

She has also suggested that we have a 2 week break from eachother, so she can have her 'freedom'. I understand that people need space and time but I am not keen on the idea of her seeing other guys. I was wondering if anyone has been through this 'break' and how did things turn out after, for better or for worse?

Thanks for letting me vent my concerns and I hope you'll give me some feedback on how to handle this!

Well my over and over again ex keeps coming back and he doesnt even ask for a break, he just breaks up. My cousins did what you mentioned before they got married and ended up they found they were madly in love and wanted to get married. THey are still together, kids and all. Hang in there and take this time to explore yourself and get out there, even if nothing comes of your exploring, you can atleast have tried and taken advantage of the time given. Then you will have more perspective on all things.

Need a break = I'm not sure if I want to be with you but don't have the guts to say so.

Sorry but your relationship is going down the pan.

Yeah. Instead of working on improving the relationship (and even the best long-term relationships require some work), she is looking for the excitement of someone new. And being with somebody new is exciting, at first, but chasing after that feeling all the time would make for unstable and shallow life. Tell her she can get that same spark from smoking meth, it gives you that same giddy, falling-in-love sensation.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

[url=http://hubpages.com/hub/list-of-things-that-help-make-my-relationship-last]list of things that help make my relationship last[/url]
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

I guess two people in a relationship for too long will need a break and space in between... If she say she need the freedom, you can only respect her decision...

[URL="http://bit.ly/makingup3"]Free Video on love and relationship advice.[/URL]

[URL="http://bit.ly/relation3hip"]Free Video on how to get back your ex.[/URL]

I believe too that this isn't just a break, it's a break-up but she doesn't want to confront you, so she's running away and using the excuse with "oh, I need some time, I need some space, blah blah, I want a break for a while". I can't understand how some people say "I don't think I love you anymore, the spark is gone... but let's take a break for 2 weeks, and maybe love will come back!" - it doesn't seem possible to me.

She's bored and missing the excitement of being single. She senses that you two are heading for the Big One, and she wonders if you're really the one. She doesn't get that you can keep changing partners, but sooner or later you still have to put up with the other person's crap!

I give it a fifty fifty chance, but the best way to get her thinking is to have as great a time as possible without her. I've known couples that break up and get back together repeatedly before finally getting married. Then there was the guy who told his college sweetheart that he thought they should date other people. Boy, was he miserable when she ended up finding a new boyfriend!