+ Follow This Topic

Thread: waiting for so long

how long should i wait?

My 1 year anniversary with my Bf just passed and we have been living together for about 4 months. I also want to add that it was me moving into his apartment, and it was him who was really big on the idea of living together.

About 2 months ago I told him that I wanted to start saying "I love you." when i brought it up i didn't use the exact phrase, but he got where i was going with it.

He immediately told me he was not ready to say it, and that one day he will say it when the time is right.

well that was 2 months ago and he still hasn't said it back. I also have not met his parents, nor do i have any idea if they know i exist.

My Bf tells me he likes me a lot, takes me out to dinner, buys me roses, and has always gotten me thoughtful gifts.

I can't help but feel that maybe he'll never say it back. How much longer should i wait for him to say it back? I'm not sure if he's acting odd or I'm just over-analyzing the situation.

any and all advice is appreciated
    Last edited by Perez805; 18-01-11 at 09:15 PM.

He'll say it when he's good and ready and if he feels pressure from you it won't help your relationship. It seems that in other ways as you've said yourself he shows you how he feels. Why not be happy with that for now?

It may be that you place a different (less) weight on the words than he does. It doesn't mean that he doesn't love you or feel strongly for you. He just chooses to express it in other ways. As long as your relationship is strong and things are moving in a direction you like, then I wouldn't worry about it. You can certainly tell him that you love him and if necessary explain that you enjoy sharing your emotions and enjoy telling him that you do indeed love him.

Now, if he's acting funny, things aren't that cool, or he's not moving in the direction that you like, this might be a sign. There are dead-beats among us. We'll take a free ride and a free sandwich wherever we can get it. I don't know your story but generally if it stinks, somethings up.

He wanted to move in together and that's a positive sign of commitment. You're certainly free to ask for a little bit more and where he sees the relationship going.
    build up! be positive! love like there's no tomorrow!

You went living with you boyfriend after 1 year, that's pretty fast, I'm sure he thinks the same.
    So you can't get those words easy... give him time. It's not about words, it's about feelings, they need to be matured.
    "E ao imenso e possível oceano
    Ensinam estas Quinas, que aqui vês,
    Que o mar com fim será grego ou romano:
    O mar sem fim é português."