+ Follow This Topic

Thread: something I noticed about being in a relationship

something I noticed about being in a relationship

ok, so I've always been a thin person. I weigh between 110-115 and I'm 5'3. anyways, before me and my ex started dating, I was probably on the 110ish side, pretty slim. once we began dating, I feel like I gained a few pounds, maybe just from us going out to dinner more frequently or something, so I was maybe 115-117ish. since we broke up, I'm back down to 110ish! I know originally I stopped eating for a few days which set me back, and I had a stomach bug recently, but other than that I'm eating normally, in fact I eat a pretty decent amount for someone who is pretty thin.

my friends say the same thing happened to them too...once they started dating their boyfriends they gained a little weight! do you think this has something to do with being in a relationship? maybe we're more happy, we feel we can let ourselves eat a little more and feel more comfortable when we're with someone? or is it just a coincidence?

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    When you're single you want to look as attractive as you can for finding a new partner. Once you have a partner, you settle in and care less about looking your best. You already hooked him/her anyway, so it's okay to let go of the edges. (and in many cases let go completely)

yea i have noticed this too...it's because im so comfortable with my other half but im still toning up for summer time

it's weird cause I didn't notice it at the time but now looking back I see it... and I know what you mean, alot of times I felt comfortable and I still looked nice, but not as nice as I do now. for example, I spend more time on makeup & hair, I wear real cute clothes, whereas when I was with him I knew he loved me and thought I looked good anyways so I wasn't always trying to look my best

I think there are three things that happen to cause a little weight gain.

You aren't too concerned about a little weight gain if you are in a good relationship.

I think a lot of it has to do with dating changes your 'single' eating habits. My bf eats a ton, and for some reason thinks I should to. So if I cook or he cooks, there is plenty of food. And going out to eat doesn't help any since they also give way too much food.

Also dating changes your exercise habits. Unless you two do sports or the gym together, you will slow down your exercise routine.

Same happened to me and when I met the ex hubby - I gained weight. I cooked for him which meant I was sitting down to meals also. Also and physically I was active, I'd walk a mile a day....but it stopped when he came along. After a while I also stopped bothering with my appearance as much and that was so unlike me and because prior I'd always wore makeup, had my hair done, etc....
    Even though we think our partners may not be noticing...they do. My hubby commented a few times and would joke about how I didn't much make an effort anymore. At same time and if we were going anyplace, he'd whinge it took me over an hour to get ready!

After we split though, the weight came off (not that I had loads to shed) and of course the makeup came back, the hair, the nice clothes, lol
    It's likely to be something we subconsciously do and when looking again to attract potential partners. When we have a partner, we aren't looking to attract other mates.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 24-03-11 at 07:08 PM.

The number one activity for dating is eating. Dinners, lunches, desserts, going out for coffee, etc. Restaurants and such are social places and you get to know someone through conversations over meals.

Once in a more serious relationship, you still use meals as a time to catch up on your days, spend quality time together, etc. That should explain the weight differences, I think.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!