+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I need to know if I am being unreasonable...

I need to know if I am being unreasonable...

My girlfriend and I are both the same age, 24. I still have 2 years left in my undergrad at a university and she has 2 years left because she is going to grad school. We were both planning to go the same school due to it being affordable, its location and the programs it offered. She applied to this school we wanted to go to(A), a school in the surrounding area (B), a school in our residing state (C) and a school a few states away (D).

We were both hoping that we could get into school (A) but she was wait listed for that one. Instead she got accepted to school (C) and school (D). Now on a reputable index school (D) is rated 2.9 out of 4 and school (C) is rated 2.8 out of 4. She is considering going to school (D) which costs about 24311 a year, not including housing, groceries, etc. School (C) costs about 8310 a year, not including housing, groceries, etc.

School (C) has a much less desirable environment, smaller town, colder and such but equal education. School (D) has a new environment that is exciting because it is foreign, but the same education as school (C).

I am failing to see how, with out financial future in mind, it is possible a smart decision to go to school (D) over school (C). When you will only be there for 2 years does the environment really make that big of a difference? We are talking 50k+ in student loans compared to16k+ in student loans.

We have talked about it several times and afterwards she always sees my angle and agrees that I am right. Then she goes home and talks with her family (who I feel must completely be unaware or just not care about money) that encourage her that school (D) seems like a good idea.

She's a girlfriend

Her finances should be of no mind for you.

You cannot and should not ever control her.

You've laid out the facts and school (C) is the preferable school

If she doesn’t choose it does she get a punishment?

I mean you’re not even married to the poor girl or paying for it...wait are you?

Worry about your own finances and future. It may be one without her in it.
    Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I do not know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

That could very easily be a well spent $34k difference. Do you realize how little $34k is over the span of 10 years? Environment is key, and maybe is opportunity with school D as far internships/jobs/experience that would dwarf the $34k difference. I went to an expensive school in the DC area over smaller, much less expensive ones in VA or NC. I have a ton of fun and endless professional opportunity, plus I loved the experience of living here. It was well worth the extra money, since I make plenty now. What is she going to school for?

Well, you didn't go to school for finance.. Lets just say that for school (C) she takes a 20k loan. Paying that over 10 years

We will use the LOWEST possible APR for student loans as regulated by the government: 6.5%

Monthly Payment = $227.1
    Total Payment = $27252
    Total Interest =$7252

Education: 2.8 and reputable standing in SLP [As ranked by US News]

School (D)

Principle of 50k

Monthly Payment = $567.74
    Total Payment = $68128.8
    Total Interest =$18128.8

Education: 2.9 and reputable standing in SLP (Obviously not Harvard) [As ranked by US News]

So your not looking at just a 35k Difference, at over 10 years that is a huge amount for an equal education.

Neither one of them is in an opportune location like D.C. Neither one of them have the status of harvard, stanford, yale. They are both State Universities.
    Last edited by theguy; 26-03-11 at 04:17 AM.

I was an Econ major, but I dropped out of school, so no, financial planning is not a strong suit. Making money, however, is. I dropped out of school and now make $80k as a computer programmer. Paid off $65k in loans in three years, though I also make $3-5k a month playing poker.

My point was, depending on the field and her experience, she could be making $70-100k with a graduate degree and easily afford $1500 a month for the next 3 years. You never answered my question, what is she in school for?
    Last edited by BackUpOrGetStng; 26-03-11 at 04:58 AM.

Maybe she is choosing school D as a way to get out of your relationship.

Maybe she knows someone who went to school D and has talked about how much they enjoyed it, thus respecting personal experience over a magazine rating.

Maybe she knows someone who went to school C and has talked about how much they hated it.

Maybe she is choosing school D just to be different.

Maybe she is wanting to go to school D because it is her choice and not the "logical" choice as defined by you.

Maybe she thinks the financial difference is no big deal because she expects that you will love her regardless of what she chooses.

To answer your subject heading, yes, you are being unreasonable. It is her choice, not yours.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!