+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ex Girlfriend is Best Friend - Help!

Ex Girlfriend is Best Friend - Help!

Me and my girlfriend recently broke up after 21 months. It was mutual, and we broke up because we were arguing loads about silly things (but they were serious arguments and very often). It also just felt like some of the spark had been lost, and that it wasnt quite working out. However it is not that simple. We have been not only girlfriend and boyfriend for most of our teenage years, but been best friends for years. I have never been so close to someone, and we were there through so many hard times in each others lives, we feel so close its like a member of the family (may sound weird but i mean as close as). We use to spend most days of the week together, on the weekends and after college. We are also part of the same small group of friends at college. We broke up on such nice terms, and there have been no hard feelings whatsoever, we have been so lovely to each other. But it seems due to being so so so close, that it would be impossible to stop seeing each other, it feels like im losing a family member, its horrible. We are also part of the same friend group at college so have to see each other, and with the summer coming up, if we were to try and not see each other, it would mean one of us would be very lonely for the whole of summer. Whilst we both agree that in the long term its best we ended it, we both still feel so close, closer than friends. We still just click, and i feel so comfortable around her. One of the long term reasons we think its best to leave it is that its both of our first real relationships, and we think that in the long run our career paths will take us different ways, and also its important i explore other girls, i dont see how you could ever be with just one. But that doesnt change the fact i miss her every minute and just want to see her, and i feel like if we keep seeing each other will it ever be possible for us to move on. But then it seems impossible not to see each other. We both know its for the best, but are just in such a muddle. When we see each other we are so lovely to each other and get on so well, and we miss the close feeling when your together. But that doesnt change the fact that it didnt work, and we know that.

Im so confused, someone please make sense of this.

Distance yourself a bit. Don't talk to her so much, and ask her not to contact you unless she really needs to, for a while so you can deal with it. From what you describe, she should be pretty understanding. You should also try going out with just the guys in your group and start chasing other girls.

If she starts dating someone else would you feel happy for her? Or would you feel heartbroken? If youre happy for her then you guys can easily stay friends and move on at the same time. If you'd be heartbroken then you need to start distancing yourself Like the previous poster suggested.