+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Okcupid and it's opinion

Okcupid and it's opinion

I recently joined okcupid, like 4 days ago, anyway, I have had a very disappointing experience over there, I know it's still very early and I shouldn't be saying anything about the lack of success etc etc so soon, but I just wanted to find out some of the bloggers experience on that site.

I want to post the mess I made for myself over here, but I want to hear some feedback about the site from the people here before I post my experience here.

I've been quite happy with it. Had several good dates from meeting people there. I generally find it to be fun and engaging. Do make sure you turn off the chat option on weekend nights after about 10pm, or you get a lot of obnoxious or obscene chat messages. Several of my friends have found their significant others there, and one of them recently got married to hers. It does have its downsides, like anything else. Just don't be afraid to block people.

Thank you so much for that encouragement, I am feeling disappointed today because one of my friends told me that it isn't for someone like me, anyway I would like to be upfront here and tell you all that I am a minority man, someone that isn't really mainstream, and one of my best friends said that I wouldn't have any success on that website for that reason, and the disappointment I faced today was perhaps on account on that, and thinking too much about it, what do you think? Do you think someone who isn't White/African American can succeed there, I ask this because most of the men you see there are either White or African American.

Well, I don't know where you live, but I live in a pretty diverse and kinda out there city, and it seems like there are all types on there. I've seen people of just about every color, but I can't vouch for how successful anyone is. Honestly I'd say it caters to people who tend to shy away from the mainstream, or they would be somewhere like Match or Eharmony. One of the things I like about it is that it seems to have some quirky, fun, self aware people on it.

I've had a few disappointing experiences. Usually involving people who were flaky or pushy. I would imagine it's a different thing from the male side of the screen though. I will say all of the people I know who've used it were white, African American, or Latino. But I've never heard anyone (who wasn't just negative about internet dating in general) say OKC was bad.

OkCupid has a blog where they've discussed the race of their users. You might find these posts useful:

[url=http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-race-affects-whether-people-write-you-back/]How Your Race Affects The Messages You Get OkTrends[/url]

[url=http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/what-if-there-were-not-so-many-white-people/]What If There Weren’t So Many White People? OkTrends[/url]

Okcupid is not as developped in France as it is in the States...and I've never met anyone on there...actually I 've read somewhere that the crowd in OKCupid is don't have a classic profile such as straight man looking for straight woman or vice versa...

Its more of a new age and free approach: open couples, people wanting to meet someone outside of a curren relationship, people with different sexual preferences...and it's true that I could never find someone I felt was looking for a classic relationship...

Now in terms of race I remember seeing various types but it is possible that things are different in the States.

However I would not see your 'difference' as a downside but more of a big advantage...you'll be more noticeable and different which to me and many people is highly attractive...as long as you spash on a big smile and look trendy in your photos you'll certainly draw some attention to you.

I'm not sure I'm allowed but since you've been able to mention a dating website I'd like to mention the one I use and where I've been able to find a few interesting profiles:

[url=http://www.match.com]Match.com | The Leading Online Dating Site for Singles & Personals[/url]

But my understanding is that you need to find the dating website that is the most popular in your area. Where I live there are many many members on Match.com but only a few on OKCupid...I've tried PlentyOFish too but only a few members too...

I think you should learn to not question things too much and just do it..see the Quote of the Month above!
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.