+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muslim Boyfriend

Quote Originally Posted by dewy View Post
    May be you people are right I should start reading Quran to get more clear about the Muslim religion.
    i suggested the opposite. geez. don't do this.

Thanks to all of you.
    Well we don't have any plans of moving to Saudi Arabia. As we work over here and we have our own families here so there is no chance that we'll move to Saudi Arabia but yeah if I got married for some time I have to go to Saudi Arabia to visit his family that may be around 1 month.
    May be you people are right I should start reading Quran to get more clear about the Muslim religion.
    Better yet, watch Lara Logan's interview this sunday on 60 Minutes. Will show you how women are treated in the non liberal muslim countries like saudi arabia.

Thanks to all of you.
    Well we don't have any plans of moving to Saudi Arabia. As we work over here and we have our own families here so there is no chance that we'll move to Saudi Arabia but yeah if I got married for some time I have to go to Saudi Arabia to visit his family that may be around 1 month.
    That's not enough information. The Qur'an is not as strict as the customs in many of the Muslim countries, and Saudi Arabia is one of the worst for women. Women there can't drive, can't vote and can't testify in a court of law without at least one corroborating witness. And Muslims in Saudi Arabia can't stop being Muslims or else they face the death penalty for apostasy. The penalty for adultery is being stoned to death. Imagine how many times you will be hit by rocks before death in that situation, it's absolutely primitive.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I too don't think that simply reading the Quran is enough. For one, it will take you forever. Second, you'll probably find it confusing. Have you ever tried reading the 'King James version of the Bible? That in and of itself can be confusing with all of the "thee" , "thou" and other antiquated language. Reading the Quran may be even more difficult to understand. Third, what the Quran contains is less important than the interpretation of his particular religious group. You might understand what you read to mean one thing, but his particular denomination/sect/ethnic group might interpret it differently.

I find it strange that there have been so many threads about women dating Muslim guys lately.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

I find it weird so many people THESE DAYS are freaking out about the Muslim religion when before 9/11 no one had a clue...am I sensing a little hatred people? Look I'm not saying his religion isn't going to have things you're not going to like, but this is why you MUST talk with him to have an idea of where HIS beliefs stands. Not stupid random people that have very little association with him other then the same name of religion. Everyone will interpret things differently...find out what his is before jumping to conclusions. For instance, there are different forms of Mormons (forgot the name for each) they all don't believe in multiple wife's. In fact very few still follow that rule yet that's their most known stereotype and it's a complete misconception. Another example, not all Christians believe in the father, the son, and the holy spirit like most catholic Christian...some believe that all three are one. Other Christians believe women should wear skirts and never cut their hair. Yes, that still exists and more common then you think, look at Pentecostal Christians. And so on and so on. Point is you cant just assume he's like the worst things you've seen on the news because that would be negative stereotyping which is borderline prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by listen not hear View Post
    I find it weird so many people THESE DAYS are freaking out about the Muslim religion when before 9/11 no one had a clue...am I sensing a little hatred people? Look I'm not saying his religion isn't going to have things you're not going to like, but this is why you MUST talk with him to have an idea of where HIS beliefs stands. Not stupid random people that have very little association with him other then the same name of religion. Everyone will interpret things differently...find out what his is before jumping to conclusions. For instance, there are different forms of Mormons (forgot the name for each) they all don't believe in multiple wife's. In fact very few still follow that rule yet that's their most known stereotype and it's a complete misconception. Another example, not all Christians believe in the father, the son, and the holy spirit like most catholic Christian...some believe that all three are one. Other Christians believe women should wear skirts and never cut their hair. Yes, that still exists and more common then you think, look at Pentecostal Christians. And so on and so on. Point is you cant just assume he's like the worst things you've seen on the news because that would be negative stereotyping which is borderline prejudice.
    Even if this guy is the most liberal and evolved muslim around, there is a good chance if she embarks on this relationship she will have to spend time in a country that doesn't share his views. Should be aware of what that is like for a female.

Reading the Quran to get a vision of what modern Islam's like is as useless as reading the bible to understand the modern christian church. People interpret it however they want.

Quote Originally Posted by listen not hear View Post
    Twenty years ago, I dated an Iranian woman for a while. She was Muslim and I was an atheist, but I was so fond of her that I started reading the Qur'an, because she said that she could only marry a Muslim. Some of it was fine, even laudable. But too much of it was the kind of separate but equal crap that I can't stand, giving elaborate justification for treating women as inferior to men. I wouldn't want to raise a daughter in that faith. Then I read up on the culture and laws in some of the Islamic countries, and I was surprised that Saudi Arabia was so harsh. That's why it doesn't matter how nice this guy is, if she moved to Saudi Arabia and converted to Islam, the OP would fall under some very oppressive laws. That's not assumption or prejudice, that's awareness of facts and laws.

Organized religion is all about behavior control, and I hate that. And so many people put up with it because they are afraid of death and need to hear comforting words about life after death. Sheep need a shepherd, but I'm not a sheep. I'm still an atheist.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Sheep need a shepherd, but I'm not a sheep. I'm still an atheist.
    I've just found my new signature if it's okay with you Vince?
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

I'm amazed that this thread is still here. I just want to clear One thing I'm not shifting to Saudi Arabia. I said I'll be going there for just one or two month. I'm so madly in love with him that I want to marry him but I will never change my religion. He is comfortable with it and doesn't want any changes. He is even ready to have court marriage in order to avoid Muslim Marriage as most of his relatives would emphasize that I should change my religion. I loved him because of his open thinking in his view all the religions are equal and he is ok with every religion.

Hi, is he from saudi arabia?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12