+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how do you take being hit on when you have a boyfriend?

how do you take being hit on when you have a boyfriend?

well, i'm not sure if i was really "hitting" on her, but it might have been close. I was sitting next to my friend (a girl) in school today and she was looking really nice today. I've recently got a lot more confidence and i guess i got lost in the moment. So i started saying some pretty "interesting" things that she seemed to laugh at, but I know many girls would be offended by them. How would you feel if that happened? and like i said in the title, the girl i was doing this to has a boyfriend.

You'd be better off going to a teen forum and asking. Most of the members here are adults, and wouldn't respond the same as a teenager.

Girls, women, are attention whores. They will take it where they can get it, single or not.

As a married woman I find it flattering!

LOL .. why in the hell would she dress like that then!!!

Ooh, misogyny! Yay!

No, not all women or girls are attention whores, and dressing a certain way doesn't mean she wants to have "interesting" things said to her.

OP, what exactly did you tell her?

Usually by personal experience if a guy starts flirting with me I will laugh about it to lighten the situation then try and change the subject, yes it's flattering but having a boyfriend and flirting back is just totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryH View Post
    Ooh, misogyny! Yay!

No, not all women or girls are attention whores, and dressing a certain way doesn't mean she wants to have "interesting" things said to her.

OP, what exactly did you tell her?
    Of course someone is gonna come around and bash my comment when it's just a generalization and doesn't use the meaning misogyny properly. It was more of a tongue and check comment. But considering this situation, I stick by my comment because it's true in this case. It's typical and it doesn't mean she is looking for comments but I bet money on it she's digging the acknowledgement that guy or guys find her attractive.

Now if I was to make it misogyny I would have said women are only good for one thing and that's having a dick stuck in them or belong in the kitchen or only good for scrubbing toilets and cleaning my house.
    I know what goes through a girls head when picking out clothes and shoes. We do like the attention whether if it's a glance, turning a head or two or a BFs friend (especially a good looking one) makes conversation a touch flirty. I use the term attention whore because guys seem to relate to it. Next time I will be more lady like in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Of course someone is gonna come around and bash my comment when it's just a generalization and doesn't use the meaning misogyny properly. It was more of a tongue and check comment. But considering this situation, I stick by my comment because it's true in this case. It's typical and it doesn't mean she is looking for comments but I bet money on it she's digging the acknowledgement that guy or guys find her attractive.

Now if I was to make it misogyny I would have said women are only good for one thing and that's having a dick stuck in them or belong in the kitchen or only good for scrubbing toilets and cleaning my house.
    I know what goes through a girls head when picking out clothes and shoes. We do like the attention whether if it's a glance, turning a head or two or a BFs friend (especially a good looking one) makes conversation a touch flirty. I use the term attention whore because guys seem to relate to it. Next time I will be more lady like in my post.
    *Ouch I felt that lol

The correct protocol, I believe, is to flirt back and then call your boyfriend to beat him up. Then dump the bf if he doesn't start a fight or loses it.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post

No, I used the meaning properly. OP said that he had made some possibly offensive comments to a girl, and your response was basically, "Women are attention whores and will take whatever attention you give, offensive or not, and will like it." You're telling him and others reading this that it's okay to behave however you want towards women because we're all attention whores.

I'm not "bashing" you just because of your comments in this particular thread or even that other one where I called you out on something. I've observed this kind of thing from you for a long time. You frequently show disrespect to women and other groups as a whole and you have a habit of making negative generalizations. I think you take your "brutally honest kick to the nuts" schtick too far. Your "honesty" is often offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Gognitti View Post
    well, i'm not sure if i was really "hitting" on her, but it might have been close. I was sitting next to my friend (a girl) in school today and she was looking really nice today. I've recently got a lot more confidence and i guess i got lost in the moment. So i started saying some pretty "interesting" things that she seemed to laugh at, but I know many girls would be offended by them. How would you feel if that happened? and like i said in the title, the girl i was doing this to has a boyfriend.
    She is your friend. Why do you think that your "experiment" would wield the same results if you were to say your "interesting things" to a complete stranger?

She likely laughed because she knows you and was feeling "safe" that you wouldn't push your "interesting things" past the comment stage. I suspect that had she not been your friend and didn't know you, you would not get the laugh from her and she would be offended. Perhaps even not feel safe around you.

Most women don't stop feeling pride or the feelings evoked when we're being appraised postively once we're in a relationship. We are human after all and we all have an ego that enjoys being boosted. It's up to us to put blocks up to stop the flirt(ing) from going any further when we are in a relationship though. I suspect your friend did just that.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion