+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Social, making friends in a new place.

Social, making friends in a new place.

I am a 26yr female, I have moved to a new state and am self employed (therefore making friends with work employees doesnt work on this occasion). I work most evenings/nights and weekend afternoons, I would love to have friends to hang out and go out with etc. One of the problems is that I am not a girly girl, in saying this I'm not bootch either, I do dress like a girl with dresses and a female like fassions etc, however, I have been told on many times that my 'persona' is that of "she can look after herself" and I seem to fit in better "with the boys" than the girls. Which seems to scare off any potential of a 'female friend relationship'.
    I have very few female friends but would like to have more and am not sure how to do this. I am alone where I live and would love it to change. Please Help...

I moved to a different state and started over when I was 26, too. The first few months were tough, but then I started to make friends again through recreational activities, like joining a volleyball league. That won't necessarily work for you, because your work schedule is terrible. Honestly, I don't understand how you can be self-employed and be stuck working weeknights and also weekend afternoons. Hopefully you aren't working seven days a week too, because those days off are going to be the only times when you have a good shot at making new friends.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know if they have it in Australia, but meetup.com is a good way to meet people with common interests.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

It sounds cliche, but join clubs or pick up new hobbies. Easiest way to meet people in a 'lets be friends' setting. Trying to meet people in a night life/bar/club type place isn't really ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm View Post
    It sounds cliche, but join clubs or pick up new hobbies. Easiest way to meet people in a 'lets be friends' setting. Trying to meet people in a night life/bar/club type place isn't really ideal.
    Agree with this. It's the healthy way to meet ppl rather than some boozers.

I just moved to a new state a while back and it was a bit challenging at first. I had one or two friends that would invite me out (if you are invited, force yourself to go) even though I didn't feel I had so much in common with them. However, through these people I have met about 4 girls that I can click with.

If any co workers or clients invite you out, just force it! Sometimes a glass of wine helps ease the social tension, unless you don't drink..

It takes a while to feel comfortable moving somewhere new. Some of my friends tell me it can take up to a year or so. Try not to worry too much about it, you will get there.