+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to Propose...she already bought a ring

How to Propose...she already bought a ring

Hey folks,

Wondering if you can help me out.

Recently my girlfriend has gone wedding daft and has even started buying wedding stuff: tiaras, shoes...she has even bought the engagement ring and wedding ring that she wants.

This obviously turns the whole "buy a ring and go down on one knee" thing on it's side. Although she knows I want to marry her, how on earth do I propose to her without a ring and it still be a surprise?

She basically did all the work because she didn't trust that you were going to do it yourself. Way to be on the ball there, Junior. Honestly, I don't think you're ready to get married if you're going to be so cavalier about the whole matter.

That helps...

Jim McDonald, this is a bizarre situation you've found yourself in, broseph.
    In my eyes, a proposal should be totally unexpected. The girl/guy should be totally caught off guard when their partner pops the question.
    In your case, she's basically sat around waiting for you to get around to it. That's not romantic in the least, sure she may be 'surprised' by your timing....but she knows it's coming sooner or later.

If you really wanna surprise her. Get down on one knee & tell her you're gay.
    - The Bringer of Rain

I'd be pretty happy if I were you.

Just ask her to marry you. You don't have to be traditional.

The issue isn't that he isn't being traditional, it's that he's apparently been so lax that she kicked him out of the driver's side and is basically telling him passive aggressively that she wants to get engaged... The issue is that if he were really ready to get married, he wouldn't have left any slack to be picked up.

Don't have to be traditional, you can think of it as a way our society is evolving. I'm sure you'll think of something clever/romantic and still be able to surprise her. If you both love each other already, then that's what really counts. Marriage is just a title, nothing more. The love you feel is what matters most. (Although since she already bought everything, she might think marriage is more than a title)

Good luck

Lahna Bele, I love how you just immediately draw to negative remarks with only the basic details I posted. Says a lot about you. You seem like a bit of a dick.

How long have you guys been dating?

Some women think that they want to get married, but really they just want a ring, a party, and a dress.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Almost 2 years

Honestly, if you think that all the work she's done is equal to punching you in the balls, then you should buy her a different engagement ring. Do it how you want to do it. Seems like if you don't that it's going to be haunting you. Are you ready to get married now, or are you only freaking because she's done most of the work for you?

Had you even thought about how you wanted to propose to her? If you haven't a clue, well, this is the reason I say you're not ready. If you weren't thinking about it seriously, then it wasn't on your radar. And you don't want to let her pushiness coerce you into making a decision without thinking it through.

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    And you don't want to let her pushiness coerce you into making a decision without thinking it through.
    This. Make the decision for yourself. Pretty ridiculous that she would buy all this stuff without you asking. There's either more to this story you're not telling us, or she's way off the deep end. My guess is that it's somewhere in the middle, but it would help if you'd tell us more.

Im sure it's somewhere in the middle

Just use a little common sense. Take her somewhere beautiful and get down on one knee with a nice little cheapy ring you think shell like

Take her flying and fly over a field that is set up with a "Will you marry me (insert future wife's name here)?" displayed in big letters.