+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What happened? Is he blowing me off?

What happened? Is he blowing me off?

I was at a mixer- a networking type of event, for grads of my university in my city. It was a pretty crowded event so there were a lot of people there. I decided to get a soda and this guy started talking to me at the bar at the mixer. We ended up talking for 1/2 hour. He is an author. I asked for his card because I had to leave, however I didnt have a card, he gave me his and told me we should get coffee and discuss writing.

I knew that I would be leaving our city for the rest of the summer in a couple of days, so I emailed him immediately and told him it was nice meeting him and we should stay in touch. He said it was great meeting me and asked to read some of my work. I sent him some and he wrote back and suggested coffee. I told him I was leaving in a couple of days but I would love to meet before then.

We met at a cafe. When I arrived he stood up and gave me a hug. We sat down and he told me he liked my necklace. W did chat about his books but he also spoke about himself and asked about me as well. It lasted about an hour. He paid for my coffee. When we were leaving he told me to keep in touch and to let him know about any of my work. (Altho, earlier he told me he had not yet read the work I had emailed him) He gave me a hug and said "I am a hugger. I come from a hugging family."

I thought he was really nice. He is in his early 30's and I am in my mid 20's, so he is a little older. I left and I am quite far away for the summer but I texted him a few days later and told him thanks for coffee and it was nice talking to him. But he has not replied.

So, does this mean I messed up the coffee date? Was he just networking? Did I do something wrong? I am not sure what to think. Any help would be appreciated.

It doesn't sound like you gave him anything to reply to to be totally honest. You thanked him, he probably read it and thought "Thats nice of her, I had fun too". I probably wouldn't have replied either if I didn't have anything important to say.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

I did. I said hey, how is ____ going? And then I said I had fun.

Hard to say. Your coffee date seemed a little formal. A responsive date is usually full of joking, light hearted chat, laughter and flirting. Maybe he was hoping for more than casual chit chat.

Maybe he didn't feel a connection.

Either way, there's no sense in worrying over it now. You've got plenty of other ways to fill your time.