+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to interact with an ex?

How to interact with an ex?

I've posted a couple of times a month or so back--but here's a brief overview for my question. Gist is i dated this guy for 7 months, he broke it off because he wasn't "head over heels" for me. Anyway, as far as breakups go, I suppose it was pretty clean, drama free for the most part; it's not like we were fighting, he didn't cheat or anything. For the first couple of weeks he texted me a few times, but I didn't respond. It's been about 2 and half months and I've kept no contact, and it has been extremely helpful, albeit difficult at times. I was crushed and devastated of course and it's been a hard process, but the no contact has slowly been helping me feel better about myself.

Anyway, my concern is when I inevitably see him again when returning to school next week. I have no intention of seeking him out, and it's not like we'll be faced with having to spend much time together--but I'm anxious about the first time I see him. We do have mutual friends, and it's a relatively small campus, so I'm certain at some point we'll run into each other. I'm worried that all the healing that I've gone through this summer will just come crashing down when I see him or speak with him. What's a reasonable, mature way to interact with him? Do I address him if we run into each other? What would I even say to him though? I want to be able to continue moving on with my life, but I'm nervous that just seeing him around is going to prevent that from happening.

I sadly have the same question. Except, my break up was full of drama lol. It scares me to go back to school although I'm excited about returning and seeing my friends. My campus is not big either and I'm sure that we will run into each other. I'm just not sure how I will handle it.

If it was me and I stumbled into my ex (thankfully it probably won't happen to me as we have no common friends and not in same workplace or uni) I would act really friendly and bubbly to show I have moved on and am in a really good place. Wouldn't go out of my way to initiate a convo but if there was one I would just talk about general stuff, what I have been up to, what subjects I am taking this semester etc and just show some general interest in him, how's the family etc.

Just act natural and friendly or if you are not on friendly terms with him then just ignore him altogether. But usually the best thing is to show how much better off you are without him (even if you don't feel that way).
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!