+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The irony of hott girls rejecting guys because they are fat

How do you find out your body fat percentage anyway?!
    Two main ways. The cheaper (and still pretty accurate way) is with calipurs. Go to a gym or find a doctor or someone that will do this (a personal trainer at a gym almost always does this and it usually only costs 5 - 10 dollars).

They take a calipur out, pinch a layer of fat, and measure it. Usually they do two or three measurements and take an average. Likely spots to do this are your abdomen, back, leg, bicep, tricep, etc. The more spots you take, the more accurate. They have a chart where they look up the numbers and determine what body fat about that is.

The better way, (and more expensive) is called hydrolisis I believe. They put you on a scale, and have you expell your breath while they dunk you in water and they weigh that. That weight is almost pure body mass (since your body is made up mostly of water, dunking in water will pretty much nullify water weight). So whatever's left (whether it be 50 pounds, 30 pounds, whatever) is your muscle, fat, bones, ligaments, etc. They do some trickery and some tests, and can usually determine how much fat you have, how much of your weight is water, how much is fat, how much is muscle, and how much is "other".

Alexi

RE:Friends who don't put on weight.

--Sorry I don't buy that for a moment! I know plenty of people who just claim to have a "high metabolism" and can't gain weight. The reality? They don't eat very much - they eat enough to maintain their weight and that's it. I've lived with a few and I know plenty of others, that could adjust their diets and put on weight healthly over a period of about a year.

RE: measuring body fat.

Calipurs aren't acurate and you need to get the same person to do it, at the same time...etc. Each and every time. they'll give you a rough idea but nothing specific. However if you go to a local gym they can measure it electronically and that measures fairly accurately without being overly expensive. (I paid 40 bucks a few months ago, if id been a member at that gym it would only have cost me 20)

Quote Originally Posted by leight69

--Sorry I don't buy that for a moment! I know plenty of people who just claim to have a "high metabolism" and can't gain weight. The reality? They don't eat very much - they eat enough to maintain their weight and that's it. I've lived with a few and I know plenty of others, that could adjust their diets and put on weight healthly over a period of about a year.
    I disagree. Just because the people you know who are thin eat little does not mean that there are not others out there which do have a high metabolism and dont put weight on easily. If you have a high metabolism and only eat a small amount regularly, then youre going to burn that off very quickly therefore it's unlikely you'll put on any weight. Secondly just because its possible that they adjust their diets and put on weight healthily, why should they? Unless their current weight is dangerously low and for their healths sake they have to gain some more weight, I see no reason why they should have to adjust their diets just because you think they are "too thin".
    "When I was 4 years old, they tried to test my IQ.
    They showed me this picture of 3 oranges and a
    pear. They asked me which one was different and
    did not belong. They taught me different was
    wrong."
    - Ani DiFranco -

I eat a crapload and I don't gain any wieght. Aka - High Motabolism...

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

)
    Well, you wouldn't know if it wasn't you. When I was a kid, up until about 16, I didn't even have calves. People used to call me 'Toothpick' and 'Chickenlegs' and accuse me of throwing up my food. And I ate twice as much as my friends and anyone I knew....couldn't gain a pound to save my life and I used to pray every day to God to make me 'fat'. Seriously. Thank god my metabolism changed. But I have a few friends the same way to this day.

My point isn't whether or not someone should adjust their diet. It's whether or not they CAN adjust their diet. The math on weight gain and loss is pretty simple, calories in and out.

Having an ectomorphic (skinny), endomorphic (wide) or mesomorphic body frame is another matter and sets the parameters for anyones body growth, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.
    But having lived with a girl who is well over 6 feet tall and had trouble getting her body weight up over 120lbs I knew exactly why. Despite whatever she said she wasn't taking in enough calories. Just like at the same time, I had another roomate who was trying to lose weight (5'2" - 145lbs) who was clearly taking in too many. Both said they were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

While I acknowledge that I am limitted to the cases of people I've seen - I'm dealing exclusively with my circle of friends. I'm big into the gym scene and have had alot of conversations with people trying to gain/lose weight about what their doing.

What I've learned is important to do, is to write down what it is you are doing and write down where it is you want to be. From there do the math and create a plan on how you can acheive that. "Alot and alittle" are very relative terms. Body mass is something that is sculptable and changable through diet and exercise (or lack of exercise).

I can see where you both have valid points. As far as ectomorphs go, a lot of times weight gain comes down to eating more. In the cases of hyper- and hypo- thyroidism this can be incredibly difficult. As a P.T. I've worked with clients who have required between 5 and 8 thousand calories to put on weight. Eating, this is an incredibly difficult task, and I usually recommend the 1200 calorie weight gain shakes. Unfortunately this isn't very easy for people considering the shake tastes nasty and is fairly expensive. Hypothyroidism is the opposite, and generally that person will have an incredibly rough time losing weight, even with large calorie deficits. They manufacture synthetic thyroid hormone to help those people though...which again is expensive. But if you fall in between the two extremes, then it comes down to what you're eating (in combination with other elements, i.e. exercise).

~P
    "If you want loyalty-get a dog. If you want loyalty and attention-get a smart dog." -Grant Fairley

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer."

Having an ectomorphic (skinny), endomorphic (wide) or mesomorphic body frame is another matter and sets the parameters for anyones body growth, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.
    But having lived with a girl who is well over 6 feet tall and had trouble getting her body weight up over 120lbs I knew exactly why. Despite whatever she said she wasn't taking in enough calories. Just like at the same time, I had another roomate who was trying to lose weight (5'2" - 145lbs) who was clearly taking in too many. Both said they were doing what they were supposed to be doing.
    That may be so. However just because you dont believe in high metabolism doesnt mean that every thin person out there is bulimic. There ARE people who take in the right amount of calories but for whatever reason they struggle to put on weight. You cant say you dont "buy" high metabolism, it isnt a theory, it's fact.
    "When I was 4 years old, they tried to test my IQ.
    They showed me this picture of 3 oranges and a
    pear. They asked me which one was different and
    did not belong. They taught me different was
    wrong."
    - Ani DiFranco -

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well it doesn't basically come down to eating when you're talking about your metabolism. i think that i ate the same amount as the guy next to me, however i probably drink a lot more than him. my caloric needs are really different because i'm probably also more active that the guy next to me. yet i consume a pretty healthy diet when i'm not drinking is another factor. usually i just depends on the person themselves. i have friends who basically live off mcdonalds and their body hasn't really changed since high school. it's all genetics.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by schueys_girl
    Dude, when you meet the right girl it wont be about body fat and all this crap...you cant sum all males and all females up by using body fat percentages...cos i can guarantee you i do not have 20-25% body fat (i weigh like 7 to 7 and a half stone, clothes size 8 and have 30DD boobs! So where do i fit in that lol)

stop worrying about facts and figures, and just get on with enjoying your life. You'll find that usually when your not actively looking for someone, they come along, and when they do and their a decent person they wont worry about body fat percentages

Just like you i never got the stone thing under my belt... lol....

I agree that body weight does not play such a big role. I think for woman why they maybe rejecting the guys is because of their behavior, and their "guts".

For the guys, if you show that you are on top of your game, and not out looking for woman, and sort of playing hard to get, it will be a different story...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123