+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long Distance Relationship, Moving Advice?

Long Distance Relationship, Moving Advice?

My girlfriend and I started dating about 2 weeks ago, I've known her and dated her on and off for the last 4 years. I moved away from my old home to a new city about a hundred miles away from her and we started dating since. I drove up to see her last weekend and we fell in love all over again. She means the world to me, and I love her with everything I've got.

There is a slight problem though, she want's to move down here with me. I live with my dad and I am currently enrolled in a local college. She's in college where she's from too, so long story short she wants to transfer schools and get an apartment near me. Today I started looking at an apartment for her (it's not too far away from where I live and it seems nice), but I ran into some problems. She doesn't have a car or a job up there, plus she has never had a place of her own as we both just graduated high school. Although she does not have a job, she does have a fair amount of money to live on down here (I would go into detail, but for privacy I'd rather not).

I want her with me so bad, but I don't know what needs to be done to move her down here. What is needed for an apartment? Can she get one without having a job even though she has the money for rent and the expenses of living? Can she just buy a used car straight up with cash? This may not be about love specifically, but i would greatly appreciate any help. I love her so much and I just want to find a way to have her with me in this city.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I guess if she pays the rent for example 6 months in advance or something, there won't be a problem. With car shouldn't be a problem either . Of course if that money is illegal, it will be more problematic but there is always a way out . She has to come and do those things in person.
    I wazzzz here

Well, besides the fact that I think you'd both be making a mistake by having her uproot after only two weeks of being "on" after being "off and on" so much I'll give the info that you need to rent an apartment where I live. (rules vary all over the place so the best thing for you to do is to call up the landlord and ask him what he requires to approve her on a lease.

Here you need: First and Last months rent up front, A good credit rating, references from a prior landlord or if it's your fist time renting then references from an employer. If she doesn't work then she will probably need to show that she has a steady income of some sort and if she can't do that then supply the amount of the entire rent (say one years rent in advance). Most landlords won't do that now (here) because the Tenant/Landlord Act has made it very difficult to vacate a bum of a tenant should they default on the rent.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion