+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it cool for a guy to call a female platonic friend "girlfriend"?

Is it cool for a guy to call a female platonic friend "girlfriend"?

Is it common or acceptable for straight males to refer to a platonic female friend as "girlfriend"? For example, "I'm on my way to pick up my girlfriend so I can take her to the airport."

I've personally never heard this until recently.

He may have been just wanting to clarify that it was a female friend...? But it's not usual...
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

If im dating a girl, I would call them my girlfriend. Any other girls are friends or "some chick".

"Girlfriend" means you are dating. "Girl friend" means you are not. I think you misinterpreted something because they sound the same. So, when talking about female friends, I say "female friend".
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

If they're not dating, she should be a female friend. Avoids any confusion!

If i talk about my female friend i say female friend, or id just use her name. never "girl"friend.

Thanks everyone. The odd thing about this is that I know who the "girlfriend" is. But, have never heard him refer to her as this. It's always been "my friend, Mary". Or just simply "Mary". This time he said, "...my girlfriend, Mary" in a sentence. When I said, "You realize, you just called Mary "girlfriend", he became quite defensive. He said, "Well, you misheard me...I said girl-friend. I specifically used her name so you would understand who I was talking about...". I told him I believed him but for the next few hours he brought the subject up a several times and said I was crazy.

So, I am left wondering...

By the way, this is my bf I'm referring to if you haven't figured it out!

Thanks, again!

My favorite dating site is lovingrich.com It is a serious& safe dating site, the best for online dating beginners and serious people. I found my love here. I have to say it's he best site I have ever joined so far. They verify all members. Unlike other sites,NO scammers or fake profiles here, and you can meet many rich or beautiful singles as well, including celebs, famous stars.BEST OF LUCK!
    [url]http://www.lovingrich.com/[/url]

If he's gay, then yes. If he's straight, it's unlikely that he sees you as a platonic friend, unless this is some new fad.

I found m y love on lovi ngrich.com. It is a great s ite for mee ting millio nairs and beatutiful gilrs.
    [url]http://www.lo[/url] vingrich.com/