About a year and a half ago I met a great guy at work (I know .. but we are in different divisions and equal level) who has become a friend. We share a lot in common and socialize together. Gradually over time he has invited me to gatherings at his home and elsewhere. He's thoughtful, a gentleman, intelligent, great dad (divorced around three years) and nice to all. He's the type of man I've always admired and looked for. We are both in our 40's.

Stumbling block one, he seems to get very nervous around me. Even though he may make sure I'm invited somewhere he gets nervous when I'm near him or within a few minutes of chatting. He'll often get up and move or appear to crumble like a teenager. It's very frustrating and hurts me for I know he can easily talk to other women.

Stumbling block two, the big one, he has a "best friend" who is a woman. She also works at our company (I know .. bad), in HR no less. I get along with her and she's part of our social circle. Her behavior has me really confused. From the start she seemed to be attached at the hip of this man in question. Whenever we are out they sit side by side, flirt, arrive and leave together. They take vacations at the same time and spend lots of time together at his home. I have assumed they were a couple, as many others have. This she has denied, giving the excuse of being in HR so she can't date a co-worker and having a boyfriend (though none of us has ever seen him.) If that's not confusing enough this woman seems to be trying to get me together with this guy. She has tried to get him to talk more with me, invited me to her home when he's a guest, etc. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and won't make a move on this man.

What the hell is going on?