+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I even bother anymore?

Why do I even bother anymore?

I can't get my mind off of it, in spite of needing to be diverting that attention towards some upcoming business and school opportunities...but I am afraid of a shallow, boring yuppie life with only material goods, maybe being well-read and completing my goal of watching basically every classic film and no woman.

I have an OKCupid profile (seems to be one of the more prolific dating sites, plus it has a user-friendly interface), and no matter what I do, I can't reel 'em in. I've tried all the tricks in the book, including using advice received on this forum. I must be pretty damn ugly, then.

Perhaps I'll take up the organ and don a mask, playing the instrument in a cellar under a theatre.

Show us what ya have in your profile, it made need some tweaking for the initial interest.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

What I’m doing with my life
    Watching/listening to the films/albums listed on lists of greatest of all time, hockey, classic literature and going to school.

I am employed, so I do have a lot going for me at the moment.
    I’m really good at
    ...presentations and public speech.

The first things people usually notice about me
    is my predisposition towards the niche or unusual for my age.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
    To be pedantic, I strictly diet on classics.

The six things I could never do without
    One thing I can do without is hearing hackneyed phrases or colloquialisms such as "laidback", "chill" and "down to Earth" (which, if I remember correctly, is hyphenated, in addition to really stupid).

I spend a lot of time thinking about
    ...how I don't exactly relate to the common man; I'd like to be better than that.

..the irony in kids going to film school who know a hell of a lot less about the cinema than I, yet I am not attending a film school.

On a typical Friday night I am

....at school.

...eating tofu burgers and rice bowl whenever I decide to spend frivolously.

I’m looking for

Girls who like guys
    Ages 20-22
    Located anywhere
    For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating, activity partners, long-distance penpals, casual sex

You should message me if
    you wear the Smiths and/or Morrissey shirts, not to appear trendy and/or without knowledge of the works of those respective artists/band, but out of sincere liking of the band and/or Morrissey solo.

I know you don't like hearing it, but that profile makes you sound like a pretentious twat.
    Example: stating that you'd like to be better than the common man.

Maybe try, I don't consider myself common.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Yeah, you're right: That would be the perception of the simple-minded. Don't know how else I could really describe myself with anything else but clichés from the stock file or give really rote answers about myself (I mean, I thought the idea was to capture their interest and project confidence, not arrogance or "pretentious(ness)."

Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    Example: stating that you'd like to be better than the common man.

Maybe try, I don't consider myself common.
    I see what you're saying. However, your suggestion to me would seem the least humble.

Okay, it's not the greatest wording but my point is there are better ways to say "I don't consider myself average" without putting down those that are. And thats why I say you come off as pretentious.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

But is it pretentious if it's not pretending?

Anyway, well, I suppose I could be reverse pretentious by going the dumbing down route..

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    I know you don't like hearing it, but that profile makes you sound like a pretentious twat.
    LOL, sorry but I agree with Minx.

Its a damned dating site. You don't need artificial barriers, you can pick and choose *after* they contact you.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    I see what you're saying. However, your suggestion to me would seem the least humble.
    I know MIT theoretical physics grads who are more humble-sounding than you, with far less reason. Tone it down. Noone wants to date an ass. Unless... are you one? I suppose you don't want to false advertise...
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I'm the ass? Geez, I'm as misunderstood as how Woody Allen writes his own characters...

So then does what you say, Indi, lead credence to the idea of taking the most unoriginal descriptions and just copying and pasting into the profile?

Yeh your profile sounds like you think you are better than everyone else. MASSIVE TURN-OFF. Why not something like this to start? (Just remember, if you keep it simple you are not hiding who you are you are just not revealing everything on the profile. People use this part to see if they have anything in common with the other person and to check out the photo).

Watching/listening to the films/albums listed on lists of greatest of all time, hockey, classic literature, working and going to school.

I’m really good at

That I am probably not into the same things as most guys my age.

List the books and movies you like. Don't say you dine on classics. Sounds wanky.

Food, water, shelter, love, a free mind, books.

How nice it would be to meet someone to share my life.

What book I am going to read next and if there is someone I can discuss it with.

....at school.

I’m looking for

Girls who like guys
    Ages 20-22
    Located anywhere
    For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating, activity partners, long-distance penpals, casual sex

You should message me if
    You are looking for someone who is genuine and if you enjoy classic literature and watching hockey.

Ok maybe not those exact words, but ya really gotta tone it down fella. Once you get talking with someone then you can open up a little bit but your profile makes you sound really full of yourself and I am not surprised you are not reeling them.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wait, I asked if you were... are you? I was being facetious.

I think you should post something that says who you are. Let's practice:

Post one thing here that says "Love's Reject", as if you had to describe yourself in 5 or fewer words. E.g. mine would be something like "cogitating consciousness" or something like.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

[QUOTE=IndiReloaded;788779] Noone wants to date an ass. [QUOTE\]

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, indi.

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    Yeh your profile sounds like you think you are better than everyone else. MASSIVE TURN-OFF. Why not something like this to start? (Just remember, if you keep it simple you are not hiding who you are you are just not revealing everything on the profile. People use this part to see if they have anything in common with the other person and to check out the photo).

Watching/listening to the films/albums listed on lists of greatest of all time, hockey, classic literature, working and going to school.

I’m really good at

That I am probably not into the same things as most guys my age.

List the books and movies you like. Don't say you dine on classics. Sounds wanky.

Food, water, shelter, love, a free mind, books.

How nice it would be to meet someone to share my life.

What book I am going to read next and if there is someone I can discuss it with.

....at school.

I’m looking for

Girls who like guys
    Ages 20-22
    Located anywhere

You should message me if
    You are looking for someone who is genuine and if you enjoy classic literature and watching hockey.

Ok maybe not those exact words, but ya really gotta tone it down fella. Once you get talking with someone then you can open up a little bit but your profile makes you sound really full of yourself and I am not surprised you are not reeling them.
    That's pretty well done. Couldn't top it myself, so might as well borrow your revision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast