+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parents effecting my love life

Parents effecting my love life

I'm 21 years old and still living at home with my parents. I've been dating this guy for almost 4 years and my parents don't like his parents so they don't want me to be in a relationship with him. They haven't had a conversation with my bf or even tried getting to know him. We are in love and very serious about each other and this is effecting our relationship. I'm trying to respect my parents' opinion, especially since I'm still under their roof, but at the end of the day it's my life I need to live for me and I have to be happy with the decisions I make. So how do I tell my parents that we're in love and I want to be with him without disrespecting them?

They've already disrespected you by trying to stop you from dating the man you love for what seems like a pretty silly reason, so I wouldn't worry too much about disrespecting them. They're the ones in the wrong here, not you. Just tell them that this is the guy you want to be with, so deal with it.

If you're worried about following their rules while living under in their house then maybe it's time to move out. Do you not have anywhere else to go? There's nothing wrong with living with your parents at 21, but if they're that contolling then it might be better for you to leave.

Time to move out. Tell your parents if they can't get over your relationship then they're going to see less and less of you.

Agree with above. Want to be treated like an adult. Then live like an adult - job, own home, you know grown up stuff.