+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I send this message?

Should I send this message?

There's this classmate I kinda have a crush on and, though we're no longer in the same class, I found his facebook and would like to tell him about my interest. I decided I should be more straightforward with the guys I'm interested in because, more often than not, I stay in the friend zone. And so I've thought about sending him this message: "Hi, sorry to bother you, but my friend keeps calling me a coward because she doesn't think I'll tell you how cute I think you are, so I'm proving her wrong." I didn't come up with it BTW. I saw it somewhere and thought that it'd be a silly, but perhaps effective, way of striking up a conversation and making my interest clear from the get-go. So, what do you guys think?

Don't think, do. In life, the only things you regret are the things you don't do. All I'd say to you is do it, you've got nothing to lose, if he doesn't do anything (which he will), then he is not the right guy for you. Take a leap of faith

You're absolutely right. We're not friends, just ex-classmates. I bet he doesn't even remember me and we don't even have friends in common, so I have nothing to lose.

DON'T put in the bit where you say "sorry to bother you." It makes you sound like you think you're imposing. Don't put in the bit about your friend." It sounds lame and junior highish. Don't put in the bit about how cute you think he is." You're immediately making him "the prize" which puts him (in your mind) in the power position.

Just contact him and strike up a conversation about school or something and as your conversation(s) progress if he doesn't ask you out then you ask him out. Don't chat with him so long that you become friend zoned before you even meet. Keep your intentions clear that you like him as more then just a friend. Do this by flirting and being open to his flirting. No need to play any passive agressive games with "My friend" kind of openings.

Good luck. Be confident and know when to call it quits if he doesn't ask you out, you ask him out and he makes and excuse not to. Remember, you are the prize and you don't want him as a "just" a friend.

I think it's a good idea to send him a message where you spell out that you like him. Rather than saying stuff like sorry to bother you or putting your friend in it, why not say something like "Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I think you're really cute, how about we go out some time?". You're both very young so it's good to be straightforward since he might misinterpret other more subtle approaches. Go for it ;-)!

I don't think you need to tell him he's cute. If you just get in touch to say 'hi, how you doing, remember me?' sort of thing, that is a pretty clear indicator of your interest already, but without you really putting yourself on the line.