+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would you say this to the potential mother of your child?

Would you say this to the potential mother of your child?

Gentlemen,

Do you think it's acceptable to tell a woman whom you're considering having a child with, freely and openly, that pregnancy and childbirth is unpleasant, painful, bloody, gooey, messy, and that you're glad you're not the one who has to have something living inside of you until it bores its way out? And that the tactful way to view pregnancy is something to be endured with humor, acknowledging it as it truly is, until you have the end product?

Would you believe that or say it to somebody you love?

I see nothing that he said to be untrue. I agree with him completely! And for the record, I probably would say it, but I only date women with enough of a sense of humor that it wouldn't be an issue.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I second Cerby. I've heard that too many times.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm a nurse, and I agree with any man who thinks this way. The second I saw what happens to a woman's vagina when she is dilated to 10 cm, I considered it heroic that men would put their mouths on that.

The human body is capable of really disgusting things, whether you are male or female. It's best to lighten up.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by marzipan.banana View Post
    Gentlemen,

Do you think it's acceptable to tell a woman whom you're considering having a child with, freely and openly, that pregnancy and childbirth is unpleasant, painful, bloody, gooey, messy, and that you're glad you're not the one who has to have something living inside of you until it bores its way out? And that the tactful way to view pregnancy is something to be endured with humor, acknowledging it as it truly is, until you have the end product?

Depends how it was said. Communication is 20% what you say but 80% how you say it. Factually (speaking as a mother), what he said is mostly true. The 'bore its way out' is hyperbole (nature does help, lol).

fwiw, I didn't find pregnancy unpleasant at all. But yes, childbirth hurts like hell. Sounds like he wants you to 'bear it like a Klingon', lol. So, what's your *real* problem? Think he really doesn't want to get pregnant?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

fwiw, I didn't find pregnancy unpleasant at all. But yes, childbirth hurts like hell. Sounds like he wants you to 'bear it like a Klingon', lol. So, what's your *real* problem? Think he really doesn't want to get pregnant?
    I'm just really edgy about the pregnancy issue, but it came up because of another topic. I was afraid that if somebody describes a sensitive topic like this they way that he did, it might be insensitive and cruel. Like making a weight comment at somebody with bulimia.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My instinct says you are taking this pregnancy comment too seriously. But, if he is rude and flippant about other things then there may be an issue.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm just really edgy about the pregnancy issue, but it came up because of another topic. I was afraid that if somebody describes a sensitive topic like this they way that he did, it might be insensitive and cruel. Like making a weight comment at somebody with bulimia.
    are you actually pregnant now? cuz if not then you are making a big deal out of nothing
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

are you actually pregnant now? cuz if not then you are making a big deal out of nothing
    No, I'm not pregnant now. It wouldn't even be an issue until a couple years down the line, if we get there. I'm just touchy about the subject, and I think I did make a big deal out of nothing.

I'm going to apologize to him for getting upset.

Gentlemen,

Yes, why not. He is just frank. Well, I hope he's not rude in other ways. But this opinion is good and frank. I share the same and I don't think you need to worry about it (if there is only it). Best wishes!