Hello. I am new to this site. I've been thinking about this for the longest time, but I never found the right place to post my thoughts in private to a community. I didn't want to take action yet, so here goes.

Long story short: Me and a girl fell for each other really hard last year. She broke up with me in February, which made an impact on me (I initially thought it did for her, but speculation seemed pretty tame). After many months of not speaking all too much (when we did, conversations weren't all that positive), we finally started speaking again via email. It seemed like she had genuine care for how my life was going as I did for her. Recently, she thought of the idea of texting one-another, so we followed through with it.

After texting her for only a couple of weeks, I got to know more of how her life was going. To me, it seems like her life hasn't been the greatest. At all. She's poor, she isn't getting a lot of food, her current bf seems to be more distant from her recently. It isn't a pretty picture.

This is where I'm feeling conflicted. To be quite honest, I still have feelings for her. Despite the fact that our break-up was sort of on both of us (I readily admit that when she returned home after her trip to stay with me for a holiday, I didn't handle stuff very well), I can't help but still love her for who she is. I can't say that I've been in a lot of relationships (three in total), but I don't know whether that factor should really matter in this case. She told me to try and pursue others. I tried (I never told her), but I could never come to terms of getting together with another person. Whenever we first met, I never honestly expected to fall for her. I had a crush on her, sure, but the idea that I could actually fall in love with someone was a concept that I thought I'd never get to experience in my life.

Basically, with how her life is going, it depresses me. It depresses me on the fact that I feel like I can't do anything to help her out. I want to help her and be there for her like I always (tried) to whenever we were together, but I'm afraid if I admit my feelings, that she would probably dismiss me and that it would ruin our relationship as friends, as peers, as anything, for good. I don't want to feel like I'm cocky or be self-assured, but in all the relationships she's been in and described, I feel like I'm the one that honest-to-god cared about her. Heck, I got her out of an abusive relationship which started our initial love relationship to begin with. I was the one that wanted to try and guarantee that she would live a good and happy life. That's what I wanted for her.

What depresses me even more is the fact that we may never have contact with each other ever again. She graduates her schoolings later this year, and I will be starting college next year. Given her circumstances, I have a bad feeling that our communication will come to an end, whether she moves somewhere else or is struck with her poor conditions.

I don't know whether to confess my feelings or just leave it be. I've been thinking about this whole thing for a long time, and there were points that I almost called her just to talk about where my thoughts have been, but I've held it back this far. If she were to actually come back, you could honestly say that she could live knowing that she would have a place to stay, eat, and have someone that loves + cares for her. I'm just not sure whether she would want to know or not.

Thoughts?